Q for current NYU students: computer requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jackbauer!

I know that NYU requires a computer that has the ability to run windows. The sheet I received said this is b/c some programs used in 2nd year require windows.

Now, my question is: Is it OK if I have a computer that just runs OSX (apples operating system) until 2nd year?? Also, does the vital book run on OSX?

Currently I have a powerbook g4 that is only 1.5 years old and i really don't want to buy a new computer right now. I'm strapped for cash and I would really like to put off buying a new computer until absolutely necessary.

Thanks all, jb!:)

Members don't see this ad.

ebay it off and get a MacBook/Pro. Mac's don't normally depreciate that much (PB G4's still go for $1000+ which is plenty for MacBook)

Members don't see this ad :)
i was also wondering if we should get the recommeded computers: ibm, dell, or apple, or if we should get something outside of that (such as hp). i know it's probably best to get the recommended ones, but will it make that much of a difference if i get an hp? (i have my eye on an hp right now)

The brand of computer doesn't matter as much as the specs (unless it's an apple). Speaking in generalities though, based on nothing more than my impressions, HPs are nice (and reasonable $$$) but IBMs and Dells are known for being workhorses with excellent service departments (which you pay for). Then, of course, apples are just awesome.

Jb, I forgot you were a mac-guy. I've been wondering what to do with my ibook. I think I'm going to get a copy of vista, download bootcamp (beta), and wait until leopard's released (October? Stupid iPhone) before buying a mb. Leopard's coming with bootcamp installed (so I read somewhere) which should let you boot into windows. Also, check out the bookstore because if you buy a comp through them you get apple's education discount plus an INTEREST-FREE deferred payment plan just tacked onto your bill -- let financial aid pay for your comp!

pardon my ignorance, but are you saying that it will be possible to run bootcamp on my powerbook (non-intel) when Leopard comes out?

if so, i will be a very happy camper..

jb!:)

It was late. I was tired. As far as I know bootcamp will only work with the intel macs.

As far as the palm pilot that we have to get goes, would the new iphone cut it?

I know that NYU requires a computer that has the ability to run windows. The sheet I received said this is b/c some programs used in 2nd year require windows.

Now, my question is: Is it OK if I have a computer that just runs OSX (apples operating system) until 2nd year?? Also, does the vital book run on OSX?

Currently I have a powerbook g4 that is only 1.5 years old and i really don't want to buy a new computer right now. I'm strapped for cash and I would really like to put off buying a new computer until absolutely necessary.

Thanks all, jb!:)

Hmmm 2nd year seems like ages ago, but I think the program that required Windows was only for an exercise in ortho/invisalign where we took extra and intra oral photos of each other and used the template that was on the program. Other than that I don't really remember using our computers for anything other than vitalbook.

I really don't think you'll need to get a windows based laptop, there were many people in my class who had Macs and no one had problems. If it becomes an issue you could always borrow from a friend that's not in your section and I believe the library can also loan out a laptop for a day or two.

Don't waste your money, you'll already be spending enough in the years to come . . .. :D

As far as the palm pilot that we have to get goes, would the new iphone cut it?

I don't believe so. Epocrates only works with Palm OS and Windows Mobile 5.0 (or above... but not ) and the iphone will run on OSx. If you're with Cingular get the new Treo... what is it? 750p?

Mack

i want to get the t-mobile dash since it has windows mobile, but the resolution is smaller than the required resolution... i wonder if it matters.

The Dash isn't sync-compatible with macs. Otherwise, I'd already own it. You need a Treo to sync with a mac. If that's even something you're interested in!

The Dash isn't sync-compatible with macs. Otherwise, I'd already own it. You need a Treo to sync with a mac. If that's even something you're interested in!

i thought bluetooth is universal across all OS's ?