Q. for DMU students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Well i am going to DMU next fall but i have one question about the program. How are the 3rd and 4th years worked out. I know you start in the DMU clinic your 3rd year (i think), but how are the externships setup, and how many do you do and where can u go. because i was looking at my packet they gave me and i saw there is the chance to do externships in WV and TN.

Members don't see this ad.

Well i am going to DMU next fall but i have one question about the program. How are the 3rd and 4th years worked out. I know you start in the DMU clinic your 3rd year (i think), but how are the externships setup, and how many do you do and where can u go. because i was looking at my packet they gave me and i saw there is the chance to do externships in WV and TN.

Check the prepod forum, I posted a detailed description of what the externships are about. You can extern anywhere where there's a residency program.

Dens

Check the prepod forum, I posted a detailed description of what the externships are about. You can extern anywhere where there's a residency program.

Dens

Anywhere that will take a 3rd year... a lot of residencies will not take 3rd years, so make sure to ask that program(s) you are interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
At DMU we only extern outside of Des Moines during our fourth year for 11 total months. We don't have to worry about finding externships for our third year, unlike other schools.

ok so for the 4th year how many do you have to do externship wise, and how long are they, a month, a couple of weeks, and i know that you want to do an externship at the places you would like to do a residence at(correct?)

ok so for the 4th year how many do you have to do externship wise, and how long are they, a month, a couple of weeks, and i know that you want to do an externship at the places you would like to do a residence at(correct?)

There are 11 total months of externships during our 4th year. One 4-month core, which is completed at one location for the 4 month duration. One month is completed in private practice. The remaining months are all one month externships at different residency programs of your choosing. Typically you would want to complete your externships at programs in which you are interested in for residency; it gives you a chance to become familiar with their program and for the program to become familiar with you.

There are 11 total months of externships during our 4th year. One 4-month core, which is completed at one location for the 4 month duration. One month is completed in private practice. The remaining months are all one month externships at different residency programs of your choosing. Typically you would want to complete your externships at programs in which you are interested in for residency; it gives you a chance to become familiar with their program and for the program to become familiar with you.

But it's not a requirement for those residencies (at least not an official requirement) to extern at the residencies you interview with. Interviewing and externships are 2 completely separate entities.

I don't know if I'm stating it right. Just because you interview at a place, doesn't mean you have to extern there. You can visit a program for a weekend or you can go blind into the inteview. I wouldn't recommend this, but you can do it and it does happen.

But it's not a requirement for those residencies (at least not an official requirement) to extern at the residencies you interview with. Interviewing and externships are 2 completely separate entities.

I don't know if I'm stating it right. Just because you interview at a place, doesn't mean you have to extern there. You can visit a program for a weekend or you can go blind into the inteview. I wouldn't recommend this, but you can do it and it does happen.

Right, residencies do not always select residents from the externs they've had. It helps to have externed there, but you can interview without having visited the program.

the 4 month core, do they assign it to you in some place in des moines or is this your choice of where ever you wanna go from the affiliated hospital list that they have, and the private practice externship for 1 month, can you choose this location also, becuase i would like to go back home and be with my podiatrist in wisconsin.

Good point dens, some residencies require an applicant to extern there, but most do not. You can either help or hurt your chances of landing a program based upon your performance, personality, and overall impression you make during that one month.

the 4 month core, do they assign it to you in some place in des moines or is this your choice of where ever you wanna go from the affiliated hospital list that they have, and the private practice externship for 1 month, can you choose this location also, becuase i would like to go back home and be with my podiatrist in wisconsin.
There are designated hospitals for the 4 month core from which to select, I believe there are about 25ish, but don't quote me; maybe a third or fourth year could give a more accurate number. As for the private practice month, I believe you can set this up at any place of your choosing, but again, maybe a third or fourth year can give a more definite answer.

I just looked it up...there are 26 CPMS-affiliated core hospitals. The list changes every once in a while. With Broadlawns losing it residency last year, I don't know how long they will remain a core rotation. For the students' sake, I hope we can continue to core there.

Marquette is correct, there is a selection of hospitals out there that are approved by our school for us to spend 4 months there. You still have to apply to these programs like a 1 month externship, but since we're one of the only schools (maybe the only?) that does a 4 month rotation, I don't think it's too selective in that regards.

You can do your private practice rotation anywhere and for more than just 1 month also (as I understand it), but you OBVIOUSLY want to do that after the residency interviews because they don't contribute to you getting a residency.

awesome, i feel much better about how this all works, thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
awesome, i feel much better about how this all works, thanks everyone

Congrats on the choice to come to DMU, it's awesome here. I know you're excited, I remember wanting to know all about this before I started. I assure you, this will be the least of your concerns throughout your first year and you should just focus on the task at hand. You'll get lectures and talks on how the externship and residency process works and you'll be a pro at it when it comes up.

I hope they accept me...DMU is an awesome place! I had my interview on Friday and was told I might hear something today so I'm anxious.:eek:

I hope they accept me...DMU is an awesome place! I had my interview on Friday and was told I might hear something today so I'm anxious.:eek:

I think you're supposed to call them, that's what they told me and what I did when I interviewed.

Dr. Yoho is in the clinic all day so I gotta wait till tomorrow morning...ah anxiety

Dr. Yoho is in the clinic all day so I gotta wait till tomorrow morning...ah anxiety

I called Meghan to find out if I was accepted. I guess things are a little different now.

Well he has all the files so we have to wait until he brings them to her. They said we could call as early as today (4 days after the interview date) to find out acceptance/denial.

That's brutal. I think he's doing it on purpose, he likes to make the future students sweat it out a little bit.

I just looked it up...there are 26 CPMS-affiliated core hospitals. The list changes every once in a while. With Broadlawns losing it residency last year, I don't know how long they will remain a core rotation. For the students' sake, I hope we can continue to core there.
PODonny, where did you find the list of CPMS-affiliated core hospitals? Thanks for the help.

PODonny, where did you find the list of CPMS-affiliated core hospitals? Thanks for the help.

I went to the Portal and typed "core" in the search box. With that search, a few links come up. The first is the DPM 2009 Core Rotations list. There's a document that shows all the core hospitals as well as weekly schedules and student requirements for externships. It's pretty good info.

I went to the Portal and typed "core" in the search box. With that search, a few links come up. The first is the DPM 2009 Core Rotations list. There's a document that shows all the core hospitals as well as weekly schedules and student requirements for externships. It's pretty good info.

Perfect, thanks a lot.