Q.Reason for basophilia in apoptosis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sgsh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q. what causes basophilia occur in apoptosis?(From FA >Basic pathology>Apoptosis).Can anybody explain this.Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Cleavage of DNA phosphate backbone. Note that basophilia here means "stains blue" rather than "increase in basophil cell count".

Reactions: 1 user
You exactly read my mind.I was thinking how basophils would increase when there is apoptosis. Also, pls note that when cell undergo apoptosis, deeply eosinophilic cytoplasm and basophilia both occurs. Does that mean, cytoplasm of apoptotic cell will stain red (eosinophilic) and but the cell as a whole stain blue (basophilic)?....still somewhat confusing. Can u pls clear this doubt too.thanks.

You exactly read my mind.I was thinking how basophils would increase when there is apoptosis. Also, pls note that when cell undergo apoptosis, deeply eosinophilic cytoplasm and basophilia both occurs. Does that mean, cytoplasm of apoptotic cell will stain red (eosinophilic) and but the cell as a whole stain blue (basophilic)?....still somewhat confusing. Can u pls clear this doubt too.thanks.

Cytoplasm red (acidic lysosomal enzymes)
Nucleus blue (nuclear shrinkage/DNA condenses)

Google image search apoptosis H&E.

Thanks seminoma and jabbed for your answers. Ok, I will do google image search to for the same as mentioned by u.