Q to all NYCOM people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zilberman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone comment to the dresscode at NYCOM. Yesterday i got the new student orientation and it stated that the dress code WILL be enforced starting this year, however they do not tell us what is it. It is suppose to be in student handbook which i dont think we have yet. Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

zilberman,

What they mean by dress code at NYCOM is something that looks respectable. You can't come in with a ragged pair of blue jeans and a torn t-shirt. What would be acceptable is a nice pair of jeans (something like Dockers maybe) and a nice shirt. You DO NOT have to come in all duded up with a tie and suit. Dress comfortably, but try to look nice and neat. You top of the whole thing with your white coat.

If you have them, scrubs are an acceptable item of clothing. If you don't have them and you want to wear them, you'll be able to buy them from one of the clubs at NYCOM.

During the first year, Dr. DiGiovanna (Associate Dean of Student Affairs) makes a big deal about wearing the white coat while at NYCOM during school hours. She made a very good attempt (when I was a first year) at enforcing the policy by sending out warning letter to students who were not complying with the dress code. It basically said that if the student was cought again without the "appropriate professional attire," a letter of censure would be placed in the student's file for noncompliance with school policies.
Pretty stern consequences for such a minor infraction of the rules.

The whole white coat thing fizzles out during the second year (Dr. Mancini is a little bit more lenient when it comes to the white coat matter). But just during the first year, make sure you wear your white coat whenever you know Dr. DiGiovanna will be around to give a lecture (she will be doing quite a few of the lectures in Osteopathic Medicine as well as Family Practice). Even if she does not know your name, she does have a great memory for faces and she WILL find out who you are.

There is different dress code in Osteopathic Medicine and Family Practice labs. Students are expected to wear attire that will allow another student to examine the front, the back and the extremities freely. Women are of course the exception. They need to wear something that will expose AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE of the back, the front and extremities. Between procedures, you can put on a sweat shirt and sweat pants to help you feel more comfortable. Dress code in these two labs is strictly enforced. Everyone always behaves professionally at these labs and there have NEVER been any inappropriate incidents. If you don't wear the correct attire, you will be marked unprepared for the lab, you will not receive credit for being present.

So bottomline, dress nicely when outside of lab and wear the correct attire when your in the lab. If you can, always try to wear your white coat during the first year, especially during Dr. DiGiovanna's lectures.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by AMS-007 (edited 07-15-2000).]

What about those nights when we pull all-nighters? When I am swamped with work and had very little sleep, I usually just show up in my college classes in sweats. Is this unacceptable now??

JoHsin,

How about putting on a pair of scrubs instead of the sweats? You can be comfortable and also be in compliance with school policies at the same time.

Just so it doesn't sound like I'm dodging the question, sweats are unacceptable according to the dress code written in the Student Handbook. Nonetheless, you will find students who can careless about the dress code and wear sweats anyway. So, as far as I'm concerned you should dress however you feel comfortable and pray that no one in administration will be so strict that they will follow the code to the letter.

Amit