q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I think the reasoning behind flossing is to break up food bits and plaque that forms btw teeth so that disease doesn't develop, and in general teeth are healthier. My question is, does using antiseptics like Listerine do the same thing to the same degree? I'm having a debate with my father about whether he can forego flossing in place of swishing.

Members don't see this ad.

Tell your father not to give up the floss just yet. True, Listerine is beneficial in reducing the number of plaque causing bacteria. It's use is as an adjunct to conventional care.
So you're right, It is not a replacement for the mechanical removal of plaque inbetween teeth.

Tell your father not to give up the floss just yet. True, Listerine is beneficial in reducing the number of plaque causing bacteria. It's use is as an adjunct to conventional care.
So you're right, It is not a replacement for the mechanical removal of plaque inbetween teeth.

leorl,

avalanche is right - chemical plaque control can be useful in dental disease prevention but only if it is used alongside with proper mechanical methods such as brushing and flossing. The best way to prevent interdental caries is to physically remove plaque that accumulates between teeth with dental floss.

I use Listerine periodically myself, but anyone who does the same should also realize that they shouldn't go overboard with it. Alcohol-containing mouthrinses have been linked in the past to oral and pharyngeal cancers. But don't worry, these are extreme cases (1-2%) and there should not be any danger to using it sparingly and no more than 2x a day.