Qbank dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustSomePreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I will have about 4-5 weeks for my Step I studying dedicated period starting in a week or so, and although I've been reading along with FA, I haven't been "memorizing" it per se. My study plan is to have subject/organ system-specific questions to go through either at the end of the day after my FA reading/studying (if I do my random block of UWorld questions in the morning), or else do them the morning after the day I studied the material in FA (if I do UWorld question blocks at night . . . still ironing out which I'll choose).

Basically, I'd like to be able to really try to reinforce FA after going through it with the help of BRS Phys and probably RR Path. I've been doing the kaplan qbank the last couple of weeks and I'm through about 38% . . . my subscription is almost up (I should've picked a longer one), and I'm wondering if I should extend it for another month, or pick up USMLERx (since this is written by the FA people). I really like the idea of having the Flashfacts thing too, although I guess you have to buy that separately.

I'm certainly not made of money, but I'm willing to drop whatever's necessary at this point (within reason) to do my best. The kaplan questions are pretty good overall, I'm just wondering if I'd benefit more from a slightly more "direct" FA question bank (alongside doing UWorld random blocks as well). Anyone have any input on "Renewing Qbank" vs "Starting USMLERx"? And what about the FA Q&A book, that has a similar format to USMLERx, right?

Sorry for the likely "n00bish" question.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I will have about 4-5 weeks for my Step I studying dedicated period starting in a week or so, and although I've been reading along with FA, I haven't been "memorizing" it per se. My study plan is to have subject/organ system-specific questions to go through either at the end of the day after my FA reading/studying (if I do my random block of UWorld questions in the morning), or else do them the morning after the day I studied the material in FA (if I do UWorld question blocks at night . . . still ironing out which I'll choose).

Basically, I'd like to be able to really try to reinforce FA after going through it with the help of BRS Phys and probably RR Path. I've been doing the kaplan qbank the last couple of weeks and I'm through about 38% . . . my subscription is almost up (I should've picked a longer one), and I'm wondering if I should extend it for another month, or pick up USMLERx (since this is written by the FA people). I really like the idea of having the Flashfacts thing too, although I guess you have to buy that separately.

I'm certainly not made of money, but I'm willing to drop whatever's necessary at this point (within reason) to do my best. The kaplan questions are pretty good overall, I'm just wondering if I'd benefit more from a slightly more "direct" FA question bank (alongside doing UWorld random blocks as well). Anyone have any input on "Renewing Qbank" vs "Starting USMLERx"? And what about the FA Q&A book, that has a similar format to USMLERx, right?

Sorry for the likely "n00bish" question.

I finished Qbank and really liked it. I thought it was a great Pre-study tool. Right now, I am using World + Rx. I think that this combo ensures you both memorization and understanding. The Rx questions take a little longer to get trough (If you read the FA pages along with parts of the explanation). If I were you, I would scrap Kaplan and use Rx.

Awesome, thanks for the input. That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm disappointed I haven't gotten through more of kaplan by now, and it almost feels like a waste abandoning a qbank with less than half of it done, but I really wanna maximize my results here at this point.

Any other input? The subscription actually runs out at midnight tonight!

My opinion is to stick with Kaplan unless you have difficulty with First Aid itself. Your goal should be to memorize it, but if you feel like you don't know that stuff well enough, then maybe a switch helps, but I think Kaplan is a better Qbank.