qns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhuvi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1..A 32-year-old woman complains of a sore throat, increasing fatigue,
and shortness of breath for the past 3 days. On physical examination,
her temperature is 101.5 F and her heart rate is 100, with no murmurs.
A CBC with reticulocyte count shows 1500 white blood cells/mm3. The
platelet count is 12 x 109/L. Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy
demonstrates cellularity less than 25%, and the corrected reticulocyte
count is less than 1%. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
A. Anemia of chronic disease
B. Aplastic anemia
C. Myelodysplasia with myelofibrosis
D. Myelophthisic anemia
E. Pure red cell aplasia

2..A donor liver arrives in New York from Chicago 7 hours after harvest.
A biopsy is performed on arrival to check for ischemic injury. The
sensitive oxidase P450 system is very susceptible to ischemia. In
which of the following regions of the liver is this system located?
A. Bile ducts
B. Intermediate zone
C. "Ito" cells
D. Pericentral vein zone
E. Periportal zone

3..During a routine pediatric examination, a 12-year-old boy is noted
to be in growth arrest. The child is obese, and multiple small bruises
are observed on his arms and legs. The patient has difficulty rising
from a crouching position. Measurements of blood pressure demonstrates
hypertension when compared to age-based standards. This patient most
likely has which of the following?
A. Diabetes mellitus
B. Grave's disease
C. Hypothyroidism
D. Parathyroid adenoma
E. Pituitary microadenoma

4..A 35-year-old woman dies suddenly. Autopsy findings are within
normal limits except for the heart Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis?
A. Acute endocarditis
B. Calcification of the mitral anulus
C. Marantic endocarditis
D. Mitral valve prolapse
E. Rheumatic valvular disease

with explanations plzzzzz?

Members don't see this ad.

bhuvi said:
with explanations plzzzzz?

1) This is an acute infection, therefore the WBC should be elevated...1500 wbc/mm3 is not an appropriate response. Being an acute infection, you would not see a chronic compensation so the answer can't be anemia of chronic dz. There are no peripheral blasts or characteristic "tear drop cells", so the answer can't be myelodysplastic or myelofibrosis. There are no signs and symptoms of (breast) CA so myelophthisic syndrome is not the answer. The low WBC, low platelet, and hypocellularity of the BM all suggest Aplastic Anemia.

2) Zone 3 is most susceptible to ischemia, this was the clue(they could have mentioned ANY enzyme and the reasoning would be the same). Zone 3 surrounds the central vein and has the lowest O2 content. Ito cells are involved in fibrotic cirrhosis. You can review the relationships of the other zones for yourself...

3) The answer is hypothyroidism. Difficulty rising from a crouched position is a buzz for myopathy/proximal thigh muscle weakness. Increased diastolic BP is also common, as is the weight gain. Iron deficiency is a typical finding in hypothyroidism as well. Type II DM would be highly unlikely in a 12 yr old, while not impossible...it still doesn't account for the myopathy, bruising, and BP. If uncontrolled Type I DM, the child would be cachectic...if controlled, the child would be otherwise normal. The description of overweight rules out Grave's Dz. The description is also not indicative of parathyroid adenomas or hypofunctioning pituitary (micro)adenomas --> the child would be underweight similar to uncontrolled Type I DM.

4) This question kinda sux...but I'm gonna go with Mitral Valve prolapse. This is the most common cause of sudden death in Marfan syndrome. It is also more common in women. None of the others would result in sudden death due to heart abnormalaties. Murantic vegetations could embolize and cause aneurysms(& hemorrhage) but the stem of the question nullifies this arguement.

Why do I feel like I just did your homework?

The above information is intended for educational purposes only and should not be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

surrender903 said:
question 4 sucks.

Agreed.

surrender903 said:
acute endocarditis does nt always show up at autopsy. MVP predisposes pt to acute endocarditis.

Are you arguing that the answer to question 4 should be AE? If so, how would this could cause sudden death? :confused:

MVP could cause sudden cardiac death due to the associated conduction abnormalaties which would lead to vetricular fibrillation(i.e. sudden cardiac death).

I was expecting to get schooled on question 3...

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought about saying something about question 3, but i mean they didnt say hypo, they just said pit adenoma.

nope not arguing at all, you did a fine job. simply stating somethign i learned while at the morgue

i still have a doubt on 3rd qn?? :confused:

I guess pitiutary microademona can be producing excess ACTH and hence cushing disease,which often presents with proximal myopathy, hypertesion, increase in wieght, ******ed growth etc.( Plse correct me if wrong)

BlackNDecker said:
MVP could cause sudden cardiac death due to the associated conduction abnormalaties which would lead to vetricular fibrillation(i.e. sudden cardiac death).

First, let me correct my idiocy...I was mixing up completely unrelated facts in my head. For some reason I was thinking hypertrophic cardiomyopathy(conduction defects) when I was writing MVP. I have too much info dancing around in my brain. I still think best answer to #4 is MVP...but NOT due to conduction defects :laugh:

bhuvi said:
i still have a doubt on 3rd qn?? :confused:

I guess pitiutary microademona can be producing excess ACTH and hence cushing disease,which often presents with proximal myopathy, hypertesion, increase in wieght, ******ed growth etc.( Plse correct me if wrong)

Yes, but it could also be producing excess GH which would cause linear and horizontal growth. The stem of the question is VERY vague and offers no lab values.

My reasoning is that if they are describing Cushing's Sx they will most likely offer at least one of the CHARACTERISTIC findings, i.e. moon fascies, buffalo hump, or purple striae. I am not familiar with myopathy and bruising associated with Cushing's...Anybody else? I don't feel like searching this at the moment, maybe later tonight.

BlackNDecker said:
I am not familiar with myopathy and bruising associated with Cushing's...Anybody else? I don't feel like searching this at the moment, maybe later tonight.
I think the answer is microadenoma causing Cushing's:

- Bruising is common in Cushing's because of poor wound healing.
- BP is high due to catecholamine release.
- Myopathy probably due to mobilization of glucose/protein from muscles.
- Short stature due to bone resorption.