QR - DAT Destroyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belmont3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Car A and B start at the same location; Car A travels 7 miles east and 3 miles South, while car B travels 5 miles North and 3 miles East. To the nearest tenth of a mile, how far are the two cars from each other at the end of their travels?

a) 4.8
b) 5.8
c) 7.8
d) 8.9
e) 9.1

I know how to draw this; however, I can't figure out how to solve it. Can someone help me please?! Should I divide the graph to make this problem more manageable?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Think of the spots as coordinates in a graph. You can find the distance by using the formula in the attachment. Distance = sqr ( (x-x)^2 + (y-y)^2 )

Alternatively, you can draw it and use the pythagorean formula. It's pretty much the same thing. I would just memorize the distance formula for coordinates. It's much faster.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Think of the spots as coordinates in a graph. You can find the distance by using the formula in the attachment. Distance = sqr ( (x-x)^2 + (y-y)^2 )

Alternatively, you can draw it and use the pythagorean formula. It's pretty much the same thing. I would just memorize the distance formula for coordinates. It's much faster.
Thanks a lot!!