QR lengthy word problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Demps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of the questions that I see on the Kaplan Subject Tests for QR, especially the lengthy word problems... For those who taken the DAT already, did you guys encounter those really long and hard questions that would take you like 8+ minutes solving? I think its way too harder than word problems I seen in Math Destroyer and CDM.... and annoying as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the DAT yesterday and I thought QR was about the same as the ones on Kaplan finals 1-3. The Kaplan section tests are definitely harder.
I remember only three long word problems. There was one complex algebra problem I couldn't figure out. Everything else was straightforward.

uh......8 minutes?!

That's WAYYYYYYYYY to long of a time to spend on a single problem! Please SKIP at all cost if you encounter any questions like that and then come back to solve them. But trust me, there are only some that require 1-2 minutes of time to solve (wordy but simple), but most of them you can solve in 30 seconds.

Most of the questions that I see on the Kaplan Subject Tests for QR, especially the lengthy word problems... For those who taken the DAT already, did you guys encounter those really long and hard questions that would take you like 8+ minutes solving? I think its way too harder than word problems I seen in Math Destroyer and CDM.... and annoying as well.

I realized that with long problems you have to practice the CRAP out of them and develop a strategy of approaching them since with most of the word problems (such as finding time, probability, rate, or age) if you practice long enough you'll start seeing that all of these types of problems follow the same trend and it will be just a matter of setting up the equation right!