QR on Actual OAT

pre-O.D.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been studying for the OAT, which I take on Wednesday, and have noticed a huge discrepancy between the type of QR questions that Kaplan asks and the type that Topscore asks. Kaplan seems to be all word problems, I never even get close to finishing, but Topscore seems to have more of a mix. What is the real OAT like?

Thanks for the insight!

Members don't see this ad.

pre-O.D. said:
I have been studying for the OAT, which I take on Wednesday, and have noticed a huge discrepancy between the type of QR questions that Kaplan asks and the type that Topscore asks. Kaplan seems to be all word problems, I never even get close to finishing, but Topscore seems to have more of a mix. What is the real OAT like?

Thanks for the insight!

The sample test from ASCO should be pretty representative of the actual OAT. I also found OAT Achiever to be extremely helpful not only in QR but all of their sciences, i.e. SNS and PT too. You should certainly look into their explanations even if you think you have got the questions right. There're bound to be new tricks/ideas there that may better help handle questions of the same kinds on the real exam...

Hope the above inputs help somewhat. :)

Kaplan's QR is outta control, but I think the TopScore one is acutally quite indicative of the real test. Acutally, I think that the real test was easier than both. If anything, practice with TopScore!

pre-O.D. said:

Thanks for the insight!

I love Kaplan's online couse, and I give them a lot of credit for my great score. BUT...the only section I didn't score 90%tile on was QR. I don't think Kaplan prepares well for this section. I got better QR practice from their small, $20 book sold online than any of the $1000 course material. Also, QR is last, and I definitely think fatigue affected my score. Honestly, if you have old SAT study books, I think those would be good practice.

Also, YOU DO NOT GET A CALCULATOR! I practiced with a calculator all the time (because some of Kaplan's course material required them!), and this definitely hurt me on the real test. Be sure to practice without a calc, and know where/when to reduce fractions. Good luck!