QR on DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winnie bear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, All!

What types of Math is on the actual DAT? I'm guessing geometry, trig, statistics and algebra. Does anyone know the relative % of each and if there are others I'm missing?

Lastly, I'm thinking of taking some math classes as audit to refresh my memory. What classes would you recommend?

Thanks a million to the infinity!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, All!

What types of Math is on the actual DAT? I'm guessing geometry, trig, statistics and algebra. Does anyone know the relative % of each and if there are others I'm missing?

Lastly, I'm thinking of taking some math classes as audit to refresh my memory. What classes would you recommend?

Not sure of the actual breakdown, as I think it varies.

I would suggest taking:
1) Intro to Probability and Statistics (for engineers or scientists)
2) College Algebra

there is a free ADA sample DAT test. I tried to go to the website but its down right now.

If you decide to buy the orgoman.com products (which are HIGHLY recommened by many people here). The 2 book combo of DAT destroyer (this for the sciences) and MATH destroyer (this book has 400 QR problems that are basically the same format as the DAT's QR)... I think the 2 book combo is like $200 or $250

Not sure of the actual breakdown, as I think it varies.

I would suggest taking:
1) Intro to Probability and Statistics (for engineers or scientists)
2) College Algebra

I was considering Stats ESPECIALLY just because I got stumped on a very 1st Q on roulette wheel slots and probability of getting red even on a roll on a practice exam...I was like HUH?? Given that we only have about a minute per Q, I would need to relearn the basics to know exactly how to approach these problems.

Thanks for your advise!

Members don't see this ad :)
on the real DAT you are not going to get alot of probabilities, maybe 3-4 max. and they are VERY BASIC

Here is the deal with QR. You got 40 questions with 45 minutes. Now here is the coolest part, you DON'T NEED TO GET EVERYTHING RIGHT to get a strong score. In my opinion, a strong score = 20 (or above). You can miss 11 questions (meaning only 29 right) and still get a 20. So the ultimate trick to this portion of the test is NOT ANSWERING EVERYTHING RIGHT, but managing your time to answer ONLY THE QUESTIONS YOU KNOW HOW TO SET UP AS SOON AS YOUR DONE READING THE QUESTION.

If you read a problem during your QR, and you don't know how to go about it, DON'T THINK, DON'T WASTE TIME, mark it and move on, chances are, the next problem you know how to do.

there is a free ADA sample DAT test. I tried to go to the website but its down right now.

If you decide to buy the orgoman.com products (which are HIGHLY recommened by many people here). The 2 book combo of DAT destroyer (this for the sciences) and MATH destroyer (this book has 400 QR problems that are basically the same format as the DAT's QR)... I think the 2 book combo is like $200 or $250

I actually just bought Crack DAT Math so I'm hoping if I do enough problems, I'd get the hang of solving like problems in a systematic way. I've never heard of orgoman but will check it out!

From other postings, destroyer was said to be an overkill...I NEED OVERKILL!:oops:) Thanks you guys!

on the real DAT you are not going to get alot of probabilities, maybe 3-4 max. and they are VERY BASIC

Here is the deal with QR. You got 40 questions with 45 minutes. Now here is the coolest part, you DON'T NEED TO GET EVERYTHING RIGHT to get a strong score. In my opinion, a strong score = 20 (or above). You can miss 11 questions (meaning only 29 right) and still get a 20. So the ultimate trick to this portion of the test is NOT ANSWERING EVERYTHING RIGHT, but managing your time to answer ONLY THE QUESTIONS YOU KNOW HOW TO SET UP AS SOON AS YOUR DONE READING THE QUESTION.

If you read a problem during your QR, and you don't know how to go about it, DON'T THINK, DON'T WASTE TIME, mark it and move on, chances are, the next problem you know how to do.

REALLY?? BIG sigh of relief! Do you know how the scores for each section is calculated?

best course of action if you cant logically solve the problem right off the bat mark it and pick ur best possible answer and find the ones you know how to do quickly and come back to the ones u weren't sure about.....to study use kaplan review for basic math and try to get a math destroyer to get used to the DAT type questions and then topscore should seal the deal!

Around SDN, the 2 most popular QR practice programs are either Crack DAT MATH or MATH Destroyer.

I can only speak for MATH destroyer, and In my opinion, mastering those 400 problems from math destroyer should guarantee you a good score cause MOST of those problems in MATH destroyer will simply re-appear on the real QR with just different values.

The only thing I've heard about Crack MATH is that the explanations aren't very helpful, is it true? is it false? I dunno

Hi, All!

The only problem with taking a class is that you'll have to do the work and that work may or may not help you that much. It's like cutting down an entire tree to make 1 toothpick. The advantage is that you'll have a teacher to ask question...but it also depends on whether that teacher is a patient one or not. I had an ochem prof that did not want students to come to office hour to ask questions....I'm assume she thinks we are all geniuses or just don't care if we get the material.
I would use SAT II books, intro to stat and math destroyer. I used to think about taking Gchem, Ochem, Bio all at once to review..... =) don't think I have enough time for that and practice questions for dAT.

The only problem with taking a class is that you'll have to do the work and that work may or may not help you that much. It's like cutting down an entire tree to make 1 toothpick. The advantage is that you'll have a teacher to ask question...but it also depends on whether that teacher is a patient one or not. I had an ochem prof that did not want students to come to office hour to ask questions....I'm assume she thinks we are all geniuses or just don't care if we get the material.
I would use SAT II books, intro to stat and math destroyer. I used to think about taking Gchem, Ochem, Bio all at once to review..... =) don't think I have enough time for that and practice questions for dAT.

Haha...a professor who doesn't like to clarify concepts or talk to students definitely chose the wrong occupation! You're right...my time is better spent focusing on DAT related Math. I don't wanna cut down the entire tree just to get a certain piece of it!!!:p

Thanks for your input!

best course of action if you cant logically solve the problem right off the bat mark it and pick ur best possible answer and find the ones you know how to do quickly and come back to the ones u weren't sure about.....to study use kaplan review for basic math and try to get a math destroyer to get used to the DAT type questions and then topscore should seal the deal!

Blue Book-->Destroy-->Topscore. I'll do that! Thanks!

Around SDN, the 2 most popular QR practice programs are either Crack DAT MATH or MATH Destroyer.

I can only speak for MATH destroyer, and In my opinion, mastering those 400 problems from math destroyer should guarantee you a good score cause MOST of those problems in MATH destroyer will simply re-appear on the real QR with just different values.

The only thing I've heard about Crack MATH is that the explanations aren't very helpful, is it true? is it false? I dunno

I've seen the Crack Math demo and there's a video explanation online for each Q so I'm really excited about it!

Thanks so much for the link! 90% raw translates to 80% DAT score for QRT (36/40 raw=24/30 actual) and if you only miss 3Q's on OCHEM, you get 23/30...that's harsh!

lolz yeh the sciences are pretty harsh. Miss 5-6 on biology and you got a 20. Miss 4 on GC or Orgo and you got a 20.

PAT is a little easier going. Miss approx 25 and you got a 19, miss 20-questions and you get a 20.

RC, I think you can miss 15-17 questions and you can a 19 (I think If I remember this correctly)