QR Question

Started by edkNARF
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

edkNARF

A is A
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many gallons of pure orange pulp must be added to 30 gallons of a 20% solution of orange pulp to make it a 50% solution?

Any one know how to do this? I feel that using the M1V1=M2V2 will work for this, but I am wrong.
 
You can do this one in your head. Basically you start out with a 30 gallon solution at 20% concentration.

So you start with 30 x 0.2 gallons of pure pulp = 6 gallons of pure pulp.

Hence you have 24 gallons of water (30-6 = 24)

You want water = pulp for 50% concentration.

Therefore add 18 gallons of pure pulp and get 24 gallons of pure pulp and 24 gallons of pure water giving you 48 gallons of 50% Orange pulp solution.

I hope that was the right answer.
 
edkNARF said:
How many gallons of pure orange pulp must be added to 30 gallons of a 20% solution of orange pulp to make it a 50% solution?

Any one know how to do this? I feel that using the M1V1=M2V2 will work for this, but I am wrong.

That m1v1 = m2v2 is only good for dillution not for everything. Just wanted to clear that up for ya!!