Q's about charting outcomes

Started by echod
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

echod

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In NRMP's charting outcomes data, there is a table where they correlate the number of programs applicants rank and the probability of matching. I noticed that even for the most competitive specialties, the probability of matching is almost 100% if one ranks more than 18 programs. Why are there still unmatched graduates when one simply has to rank a large number of programs to ensure matching? I guess there's no meaning in ranking a program if one isn't invited for an interview, and the number of interviews received could be the limiting factor. Is there anything that I am missing? Thanks a lot.
 
In NRMP's charting outcomes data, there is a table where they correlate the number of programs applicants rank and the probability of matching. I noticed that even for the most competitive specialties, the probability of matching is almost 100% if one ranks more than 18 programs. Why are there still unmatched graduates when one simply has to rank a large number of programs to ensure matching? I guess there's no meaning in ranking a program if one isn't invited for an interview, and the number of interviews received could be the limiting factor. Is there anything that I am missing? Thanks a lot.
I think you're right that it's due to a limited number of interviews. I mean, it's not like everyone can score 18+ derm invites just because they apply to 30+ programs. Probably the people who do are the rock star types who would have matched even with many fewer invites.
 
I guess there's no meaning in ranking a program if one isn't invited for an interview, and the number of interviews received could be the limiting factor. Is there anything that I am missing? Thanks a lot.

Yes, number of interviews is the limiting factor. So you apply to a lot of programs in hopes that you get enough interviews. How many you need to apply to in order to get that number of interviews varies based on a lot of factors that one has little sense of going into this process. I'm applying to 30 programs, hoping to rank 12-15. Is that too many I'm applying to? Not enough? Everyone seems to have a different opinion.

Note that the line approaches 100% but rarely, if ever, hits it. I've seen some real strange cases of that <5% cohort from very decent, personable people (i.e. ranked 12+ programs, didn't match). Bad luck is a scary outcome.