“Quackery in Medical School: Chapman Points” article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kerosene Hat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Discuss!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
" Listen AOA, you’re a grown-up medical organization. Part of growing up means ditching the dark eye-liner, lip rings, and My Chemical Romance."

Triggered.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users

Discuss!
Regarding the similarities between osteopathy and chiropractic: "Now that is really odd statement to make if you want to deny the similarity between the two because A.T Still was also pretty into hydropathy, diet, bonesetting, and magnetic healing." [sic] The author references Wikipedia for this claim, where the page states, "Still investigated alternative treatments, such as hydropathy, diet, bonesetting, and magnetic healing." So she villainizes Still for investigating various treatment modalities of his day, including (God forbid) diet! I'm no fan of the woo-woo in osteopathy - particularly the BS like this and cranial - but come on. Still was dead before Chapman even started talking about his magic points.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean Chapman's points aren't real? Talk to any OMM instructor, and you'll hear thousands of anecdotes about patients who felt substantially better after having their Chapman's points treated. Does it not make intuitive sense to you that you can treat a patient's sore tongue by manipulating his second rib?

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
What do you mean Chapman's points aren't real? Talk to any OMM instructor, and you'll hear thousands of anecdotes about patients who felt substantially better after having their Chapman's points treated. Does it not make intuitive sense to you that you can treat a patient's sore tongue by manipulating his second rib?

My personal favorite is the retina/conjunctiva on the tubercles of the humerus. That one will stick with me to my grave.

Reactions: 7 users

Hahaha, the author is applying to medical school right now, including DO schools. Good luck getting past any True Believer adcoms with this article out there! The author also stated in a comment elsewhere in December that "I've been working on a piece about aspects of osteopathy since Thanksgiving but I'm not sure I'll submit it. Unless I drop a 40 bomb MCAT then yeah." I guess he got a 40 on the MCAT. Never mind that that score scale hasn't been used in five years.

When I’m done with Level 3, I will use the green book as incense to the spirit of AT Stills.

Bless that kind spirit for allowing me to be a bone wizard.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Embrace the suck my friend. It’s part of your punishment for not being better at physics

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Real talk tho, nobody hates the pseudoscience of OMM more than actual DO students. 95% of us recognize it as BS and we have the added frustration of having to learn it and be graded on it for 4 years. DO students want it out of the curriculum more than anybody else.

Reactions: 5 users
Real talk tho, nobody hates the pseudoscience of OMM more than actual DO students. 95% of us recognize it as BS and we have the added frustration of having to learn it and be graded on it for 4 years. DO students want it out of the curriculum more than anybody else.

Just wait until you have an entire OMM rotation... where that's all you do. If you weren't dead inside before that you most assuredly will be afterwards.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wait until you have an entire OMM rotation... where that's all you do. If you weren't dead inside before that you most assuredly will be afterwards.
Luckily at my school we don't have an OMM rotation.

For now, at least. We used to have NBME shelf exams for all rotations but FM, then that changed without warning. This could too.

• Sad
Which schools DO NOT have OMM rotation?

Give praise to whatever deity you believe in for that honestly. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I think most of them do not have an OMM rotation. Just a special few who are a few decades behind the times in that regard.

Give praise to whatever deity you believe in for that honestly. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I think most of them do not have an OMM rotation. Just a special few who are a few decades behind the times in that regard.
At your school, is it an outright OMM rotation or do they try to dress it up as FM/OMM?

Mine doesn't. We just have a requirement to do OMT and write a soap note on an OMT case we saw/done during one of our rotations in third and fourth year. Super easy since FM is a requirement for both years. Which is another issue within itself.

Fortunately, my school (92-'96) mentioned Chapmans points but didn't teach them. I think they are very controversial within the osteopathic community. Cranial-Sacral therapy is more interesting. Some aspects of it are complete BS. In our one week course, the value was attenuated by the tent revival atmosphere and the pseudoscience approach of some instructors. For some maneuvers,, I think something really happens, but the mechanism being taught is probably wrong.

I took that OMM sandwich with a grin on my face everyday to work.

15 days off and only 5 days of work. I came back for more of that during 4th year.

Y’all can call me the bone guru now.

Reactions: 4 users
Hahaha, the author is applying to medical school right now, including DO schools. Good luck getting past any True Believer adcoms with this article out there! The author also stated in a comment elsewhere in December that "I've been working on a piece about aspects of osteopathy since Thanksgiving but I'm not sure I'll submit it. Unless I drop a 40 bomb MCAT then yeah." I guess he got a 40 on the MCAT. Never mind that that score scale hasn't been used in five years.

He's quoted as saying he's taking the MCAT 4/1 and said "Nah. I just figured most adcoms won't find this and most agree with me, and it's not really going to be an issue with getting into DO schools. "

Can you please share this info with every DO school in the country somehow? Do schools actually google their candidates before extending interviews?

One of my OMM instructors was feeling for Chapman's points along the side of my leg and felt a restriction and asked "Do you have IBD or Crohn's DIsease??" I have neither lol

• Haha
One of my OMM instructors was feeling for Chapman's points along the side of my leg and felt a restriction and asked "Do you have IBD or Crohn's DIsease??" I have neither lol
I would immediately ask for a new doctor if one ever actually did this to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you please share this info with every DO school in the country somehow? Do schools actually google their candidates before extending interviews?
Yes, actually, they do. A kid had his acceptance to ACOM rescinded for inflammatory and racist post on social media. There's another thread about social media in pre-MD..look for gonnif's comments in it.

Yes, actually, they do. A kid had his acceptance to ACOM rescinded for inflammatory and racist post on social media. There's another thread about social media in pre-MD..look for gonnif's comments in it.

So...after you guys clear them for MCAT, grades, and extracurriculars. Do you guys ever think “Wow, this one’s a weirdo...I’m intrigued....” *invites for interview* (edit) after looking at their social media?

Last edited:
So...after you guys clear them for MCAT, grades, and extracurriculars. Do you guys ever think “Wow, this one’s a weirdo...I’m intrigued....” *invites for interview* (edit) after looking at their social media?
It's a waste of time and resources to check people prior to interview. Due diligence is only done after acceptance.

Read this thread:

Reactions: 4 users
I have a few questions that baffle students interviewing who have a good chance of ending up in front of our academic and behavioral disciplinary committee. Any candidates for this position are given closer scrutiny.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Honestly this Braden MacBeth wrote one of the best descriptions of DO vs MD I've ever read. I don't think he denigrated DOs at all. He just called Chapman's Points out for what they are: pure quackery. Pretty bold of him though because I wouldn't count on DO adcoms not finding this article.

I am glad to have OMM 100% past me. The other DOs in my residency program all seem to love it though so I wonder what the actual percentages are of DOs who are skeptics vs true believers. I suspect the DOs here in SDN and on Reddit, etc kind of self select as skeptics.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly this Braden MacBeth wrote one of the best descriptions of DO vs MD I've ever read. I don't think he denigrated DOs at all. He just called Chapman's Points out for what they are: pure quackery. Pretty bold of him though because I wouldn't count on DO adcoms not finding this article.

I am glad to have OMM 100% past me. The other DOs in my residency program all seem to love it though so I wonder what the actual percentages are of DOs who are skeptics vs true believers. I suspect the DOs here in SDN and on Reddit, etc kind of self select as skeptics.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Yeah I am seeing a higher number of classmates drink the kool-aid than I thought I would. I wouldn't call most of them true believers but a lot of them definitely take a lot of it at face value, sometimes even soaking up the "research" articles lol.

Straight up OMM. No FM at all. It's pure, unadulterated OMM.

Its a very interesting patient population to say the least.

One of my classmates last year LITERALLY got pooped on by a patient while doing some type of HVLA.

• Wow
  • Haha
My personal favorite is the retina/conjunctiva on the tubercles of the humerus. That one will stick with me to my grave.
Not going to lie, was in an Ophthalmology clinic with a patient that had a retinal detachment. I felt for that point but alas, 'twas not there. A friend asked me if I told my MD preceptor, to which I responded, "no, I want her to respect me as a person."

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Not going to lie, was in an Ophthalmology clinic with a patient that had a retinal detachment. I felt for that point but alas, 'twas not there.

If you could please publish your findings I think we would all benefit /s

Not going to lie, was in an Ophthalmology clinic with a patient that had a retinal detachment. I felt for that point but alas, 'twas not there. A friend asked me if I told my MD preceptor, to which I responded, "no, I want her to respect me as a person."

I kind of like having these inside jokes with DO students while on rotations. Person comes in with AMS, "have you checked the CRI?"

OK. I am a retired DO surgeon, wounded in Iraq...ret. 2010 forced out due to injuries:(
OSTEOPATHY is both pos/neg: (sorry so long winded;)
POS:
1. You learn to look at the whole person. I was always finding lesions 'under the shirt' etc etc on ER patients no one else bothered to look at due to a complaint of something else. It would be the CAUSE of the fever etc...So, we learn to do a thorough exam on EVERY patient. It is a good thing and I was never ever sued--I credit that to this thorough (anal!)H&P we learn.
2. You see how systems inter-relate one to another. How you use it in your practice varies widely.
3. You learn manipulation. Some of us are really GOOD w/our hands/touch etc. some are NOT--and they can do a lot of damage tsk taking and not taking it seriously. We had several students pueking from Cranial applied this way--needed to be 'put back together' by Instructors. That taught everyone to take it seriously--EVEN IF YOU NEVER USE IT, do No Harm!
CONS:
1. There are some older grad DOs who never do actual MEDICINE, only do manipulation, and are clueless about how to treat with any type of pharmacology, even lab work. They MISS major disease processes doing 'Fu-Fu' crystals, candles, incense and BULL and make the rest of us look bad.
2. DOs will never be equal with MD degrees because there are too FEW of us, the public thinks we are like the English DOs who are NOT equally educated with MD degree students. The 'old fart' Boards for Osteopathy are too old to get anything DONE. They refuse to merge with the MD--as they'd lose their $$$ jobs.

To Al Med School Students: The 'new Biology' includes Quantum mechanics, particle physics/string theory etc that shows the immunological, endocrine and nervous systems work as a whole--like a NETWORK. Just as the dark matter and entanglement theories show in physics. There are crossover neuropeptides and other ligands that come from cells all over the body--not just the brain, as is taught STILL. BUT, med school STILL teaches all of this in the old paradigm of separate systems. Read The Molecules of Emotion by Candace Pert--the Phd who discovered the opiod receptor as a mere grad student back in the 90s. SHE proved in her career the MIND BODY network by finding peptides all over the body we thought ONLY existed in the brain, and that EMOTIONS caused a cascade of release ... Yet Medicine-osteo/ allopathic will not look at all this new info and incorporate it into PRACTICE and Teaching! Read her book and DO!!!

Caveat: No matter DO or MD--use this new info and SEE the whole person. Your diagnostic skills will catapult you above your peers because of it.

• Hmm
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
OK. I am a retired DO surgeon, wounded in Iraq...ret. 2010 forced out due to injuries:(
OSTEOPATHY is both pos/neg: (sorry so long winded;)
POS:
1. You learn to look at the whole person. I was always finding lesions 'under the shirt' etc etc on ER patients no one else bothered to look at due to a complaint of something else. It would be the CAUSE of the fever etc...So, we learn to do a thorough exam on EVERY patient. It is a good thing and I was never ever sued--I credit that to this thorough (anal!)H&P we learn.
2. You see how systems inter-relate one to another. How you use it in your practice varies widely.
3. You learn manipulation. Some of us are really GOOD w/our hands/touch etc. some are NOT--and they can do a lot of damage tsk taking and not taking it seriously. We had several students pueking from Cranial applied this way--needed to be 'put back together' by Instructors. That taught everyone to take it seriously--EVEN IF YOU NEVER USE IT, do No Harm!
CONS:
1. There are some older grad DOs who never do actual MEDICINE, only do manipulation, and are clueless about how to treat with any type of pharmacology, even lab work. They MISS major disease processes doing 'Fu-Fu' crystals, candles, incense and BULL and make the rest of us look bad.
2. DOs will never be equal with MD degrees because there are too FEW of us, the public thinks we are like the English DOs who are NOT equally educated with MD degree students. The 'old fart' Boards for Osteopathy are too old to get anything DONE. They refuse to merge with the MD--as they'd lose their $$$ jobs.

To Al Med School Students: The 'new Biology' includes Quantum mechanics, particle physics/string theory etc that shows the immunological, endocrine and nervous systems work as a whole--like a NETWORK. Just as the dark matter and entanglement theories show in physics. There are crossover neuropeptides and other ligands that come from cells all over the body--not just the brain, as is taught STILL. BUT, med school STILL teaches all of this in the old paradigm of separate systems. Read The Molecules of Emotion by Candace Pert--the Phd who discovered the opiod receptor as a mere grad student back in the 90s. SHE proved in her career the MIND BODY network by finding peptides all over the body we thought ONLY existed in the brain, and that EMOTIONS caused a cascade of release ... Yet Medicine-osteo/ allopathic will not look at all this new info and incorporate it into PRACTICE and Teaching! Read her book and DO!!!

Caveat: No matter DO or MD--use this new info and SEE the whole person. Your diagnostic skills will catapult you above your peers because of it.

what

Reactions: 8 users

Agreed! Sad thing is that so many of our professors think it is the only way to heal people, and teach it as such. I wish that it was just taught to the tests and then there were after hours labs we could attend if we wanted more of it...

One of my docs said it the best, we're going to school to become doctors, not scientists. We are learning how to treat people and help them out. Scientists are trying to prove theory. The "theories" behind the treatment are just theories and they may be crap and completely wrong (OMM doc said this mind you) but they help people and they know that it does because they have seen it work. And that is why we learn it so we can treat and help people.

• Haha
One of my docs said it the best, we're going to school to become doctors, not scientists. We are learning how to treat people and help them out. Scientists are trying to prove theory. The "theories" behind the treatment are just theories and they may be crap and completely wrong (OMM doc said this mind you) but they help people and they know that it does because they have seen it work. And that is why we learn it so we can treat and help people.
I would have told him to email me those peer reviewed journal articles.