• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Selso2109

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hello, I was hoping for some honest opinions on my qualifications for dental school application. I recently transferred to a new university and the adjustment was tough for me. I got a C+ in orgo and a B+ in genetics which dropped my cumulative GPA from a 3.89 to a 3.78. I am well on my way to an A in orgo II but that big drop in my GPA last semester left me a little disheartened. I am considering submitting my application this upcoming cycle and I was interested in where I stand. I get so many different answers from different places, but this community seems to have an excellent knowledge base on this topic.

My Stats:
Cumulative GPA: 3.781 BCP:3.7 Science: 3.74

My extra curricular activities consists of MD and DMD shadowing and volunteer work at a hospital, I don’t have any research. I’ll be taking the DAT this summer.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Drill2Fill

DentalStudentWannabe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2006
Tejas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
You should be fine. With that gpa, and a decent dat score, you should definitely get in somewhere.

PumpNO2

10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
You should be fine. With that gpa, and a decent dat score, you should definitely get in somewhere.

Dude you're fine. Anything 3.5+ is competitive but anything a 3.7 or above will make you stand out especially when applying to out of state. Study hard and do well on the DAT so that it can match your high grades:)

About the Ads

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
You have a great GPA. There's not much else to say about that. I suppose you should note that 3.7+ doesn't guarentee anything. People with 4.0 GPAs have gotten rejections from schools. This isn't to say they got rejected from all schools, but it isn't unheard of for any school to have a few rejections for applicants with high GPAs. You don't need research unles you want to go to a school that heavily endorses you have research in your history (like Harvard or UCLA). A lot of other schools really don't mind if you don't have any research.

Do good on your DAT scores...make sure you exceed 30 hours of dental shadowing (to meet the most stringent requirements) and have something in your life beyond dentistry and medicine so you don't seem like a one note applicant.

Selso2109

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Well, I have 2 years of time served in the US Army in the intelligence corps, with one year of it being overseas in Korea. I'm hoping that will help my application. Other than that I work and write on the side.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.