1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Qualifications

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Selso2109, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Selso2109

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hello, I was hoping for some honest opinions on my qualifications for dental school application. I recently transferred to a new university and the adjustment was tough for me. I got a C+ in orgo and a B+ in genetics which dropped my cumulative GPA from a 3.89 to a 3.78. I am well on my way to an A in orgo II but that big drop in my GPA last semester left me a little disheartened. I am considering submitting my application this upcoming cycle and I was interested in where I stand. I get so many different answers from different places, but this community seems to have an excellent knowledge base on this topic.

My Stats:
    Cumulative GPA: 3.781 BCP:3.7 Science: 3.74

My extra curricular activities consists of MD and DMD shadowing and volunteer work at a hospital, I don’t have any research. I’ll be taking the DAT this summer.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You should be fine. With that gpa, and a decent dat score, you should definitely get in somewhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PumpNO2

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Dude you're fine. Anything 3.5+ is competitive but anything a 3.7 or above will make you stand out especially when applying to out of state. Study hard and do well on the DAT so that it can match your high grades:)

4. OP
    OP
    Selso2109

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks for the comments! Any others would be appreciated

5. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    You have a great GPA. There's not much else to say about that. I suppose you should note that 3.7+ doesn't guarentee anything. People with 4.0 GPAs have gotten rejections from schools. This isn't to say they got rejected from all schools, but it isn't unheard of for any school to have a few rejections for applicants with high GPAs. You don't need research unles you want to go to a school that heavily endorses you have research in your history (like Harvard or UCLA). A lot of other schools really don't mind if you don't have any research.

Do good on your DAT scores...make sure you exceed 30 hours of dental shadowing (to meet the most stringent requirements) and have something in your life beyond dentistry and medicine so you don't seem like a one note applicant.

6. OP
    OP
    Selso2109

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Well, I have 2 years of time served in the US Army in the intelligence corps, with one year of it being overseas in Korea. I'm hoping that will help my application. Other than that I work and write on the side.