Qualify for MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iusesharpies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a Studio Art major, but am planning to take all the prereqs for Med School and also Biochem, Intro to Neurobiology, and another Neuro upperdiv... would this be enough to qualify me for a MD/PhD program for neuroscience research? I'm also in a neuro lab right now.

Any advice about this would be great.... also, please correct me if this is completely wrong.... I'm still trying to get the gist of MD/PhD :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing a Studio Art major, but am planning to take all the prereqs for Med School and also Biochem, Intro to Neurobiology, and another Neuro upperdiv... would this be enough to qualify me for a MD/PhD program for neuroscience research? I'm also in a neuro lab right now.

Any advice about this would be great.... also, please correct me if this is completely wrong.... I'm still trying to get the gist of MD/PhD :)

It won't matter given you have strong grades, a high MCAT, and significant research experience. If those aren't the case, your general preparedness to receive funding for 8 years of biomedicine will be questioned, of which I imagine many would look at your undergraduate courseload.

So just do well in all the science stuff and it shouldn't be an issue.

Should be no problem. You will make a memorable applicant. Just stick with the research so that you can prove to the committees that you understand research and like it. Can you minor/double major in neuroscience?

Members don't see this ad :)
It would depend a lot on your grades, your MCAT score, GRE (some schools require them) and research experience. This last thing will be the most important, and if you get interviews with MSTP programs you will be expected to discuss your research in reasonable depth.

Are you currently a tech in the lab? Or are you helping with or do you have your own project which could lead to you being an author on a publication?

Also, how badly do you want to do research as a lifelong career? If your goal is to be a Professor/academic faculty who has a basic science/research lab, then the PhD makes sense. If you're more interested in being an MD who might want to do research, the PhD really isn't necessary, and will just keep you from beginning your career much sooner.

My school doesn't offer a Neuroscience major... the closest is Neurobiology.. but the major has so many other requirements that do not interest me that I am not interested in the major at all.

I'm considered a Student Research Assistant and am getting course credit. Not sure if that is on par with a tech or not. I'm helping a post-doc and we are the only two working on the project.

That's the thing also--- I am really interested in possibly becoming a professor. However, I am not sure if MD/PhD is necessarily the way to go since I know a MD only who is a professor. He does clinical research.