Qualifying for Native American Status in Medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MemberName2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a pre-medical student and I am 1/8th Seminole Indian.
my great grandmother was a Seminole and although I do not have tribal affiliation it has been a big part of my life! I volunteer with a local non profit Native American organization that brings education about Native American artists, culture, history, and dance, to elementary schools around the area!

Does anyone know what the process is when applying for Native American status when applying to allopathic medical school?

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

I am 1/3 Mik'maq. I checked of "White" and "Native American" on the application. I am from Canada and only applied to two allopathic schools in the US so I am not sure if it helped or not. The two schools were Jefferson and Dartmouth. I was accepted to Jeff and wait listed at Dartmouth. To be honest, 1/8 isn't that much!!! I don't think that it matters unless you are full or maybe 1/2. I could be wrong. I am digging around for scholarships, but unfortunately for me...my tribal scholarships are only good for Canadian schools :(.

You may be thinking that 1/3 is not possible...it's an estimate. I am 1/4 from my mom's family and 1/8 from my dad's. Maybe I should say 37.5% to be correct! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You may be thinking that 1/3 is not possible...it's an estimate. I am 1/4 from my mom's family and 1/8 from my dad's. Maybe I should say 37.5% to be correct! :)

I read on the yale website (for undergrad) that you need to be 1/8th african american, for URM or 1/32 native american, and I am not sure what it is for hispanic.

I think that the minimum standard to qualify for a tribal card is 1/16th. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this since I am a regular vanilla cracker.

For applications, they usually just ask you how you describe yourself. My understanding is that the whole "proof" thing is more applicable to scholarships and so forth.

My understanding is that various Tribes do it differently. Some have exact cutoffs and others are a little more lenient. For example, I believe to be officially Cherokee you have to show a relationship to someone on the Tribal rolls, but it doesn't matter how distant the relationship is. And if you're not on the rolls, you're out of luck.

I actually went to Yale and I have never heard of this.

I go to yale now... which is how i know. the undergrad admissions counselor informed me, but she doesn't know how it works for graduate/medical school

I go to yale now... which is how i know. the undergrad admissions counselor informed me, but she doesn't know how it works for graduate/medical school

Hmm, that must be a pretty new thing, because when I was there (graduated in 06) no one in admissions ever asked me or any black/latino people I knew "what percent black/latino are you?" Native American- well that's a bit different, and as there were so few of them on campus, I don't know what they did. Ugh, Yale is changing a lot (and I don't mean that in a good way). :rolleyes:

For med school, no one has been asking me about what percent black I am either, though again I don't know about Native Americans specifically. I will say that the schools I applied to have not asked about tribal registration numbers or anything like that on their secondary applications.
On AMCAS, you just check off which races/ethnicities you are, so you can check whichever ones apply (I assume you are 7/8 white and 1/8 Native, so then you can check both boxes).

Hmm, that must be a pretty new thing, because when I was there (graduated in 06) no one in admissions ever asked me or any black/latino people I knew "what percent black/latino are you?" Native American- well that's a bit different, and as there were so few of them on campus, I don't know what they did. Ugh, Yale is changing a lot (and I don't mean that in a good way). :rolleyes:

For med school, no one has been asking me about what percent black I am either, though again I don't know about Native Americans specifically. I will say that the schools I applied to have not asked about tribal registration numbers or anything like that on their secondary applications.
On AMCAS, you just check off which races/ethnicities you are, so you can check whichever ones apply (I assume you are 7/8 white and 1/8 Native, so then you can check both boxes).

Thank you very much for all of your input! and yes, yale is changing.. and I also agree - not in a good way! i can't wait to get out of here!

I read on the yale website (for undergrad) that you need to be 1/8th african american, for URM or 1/32 native american, and I am not sure what it is for hispanic.

Do you have a link for that? Just curious because my high school senior niece would quality, and I think she is kind of interested in Yale. I don't think her parents would/could pay for it, but that's another story.

My understanding is that various Tribes do it differently. Some have exact cutoffs and others are a little more lenient. For example, I believe to be officially Cherokee you have to show a relationship to someone on the Tribal rolls, but it doesn't matter how distant the relationship is. And if you're not on the rolls, you're out of luck.

I know that in my tribe (Cherokee of NE Alabama) you must be at least 1/4 to be enrolled. However, you can be enrolled in a tribe and it not be federally recognized. In order for it to be federally recognized you have to show ancestry to a name signed on certain roles. This is difficult for some because their relatives changed their names to avoid having to move.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've wondered about this too because my great grandfather was Cherokee, but I never sought out official tribal affiliation to "qualify." My dad's side of the family is Bajan (Barbados), so I'm 1/2 West Indian, and I have AA, Cherokee, and Irish on my mom's side :=\ They usually don't allow for that many boxes :(

I checked both the 'white' and the 'Native' box on my app, and I have been asked about it at every interview so far! I think that each school varies on what they want (SLU I'm pretty sure is verifying it, as they wanted all the exact info). It was my understanding that in order to claim it as your background on AMCAS, you have to meet whatever the requirement is for your specific tribe. My tribe (Saginaw Ojibwa) requires that you are a full 1/8 to be considered a member...your name can be on the tribal registry if you are less, but you aren't 'offical' if you don't fulfill that requirement. Contact your tribe if you are curious what their cutoff is.

And also, 1/32, are you for real?!?! I mean I know that the Native blood has been severely diluted at this point, but that is how many greats? Great great great great grandparent?? Yowza!

I'm part Native, but only part (1/8). I have lived on the east coast my entire life, though we constantly travel to OK to visit family. I'm an official member based on lineage and the Rolls. As my username suggests, I want to work for IHS after med. school. My personal statement heavily emphasizes why I want to work for IHS and my Native heritage.

Being that I am only partly native, should I check both "white" and Native" boxes on my apps? Or only "white"? I asked this questions to a doctor at the AAIP conference last year, and she told me to do so. But I am hesitant because I don't want adcom to think I am using my status to get some kind of upperhand.

If you are an enrolled member of a tribe, then you can get a Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood Card (CDIB). If a medical school wants to verify your Native status, they will ask for the CDIB card.

If you received advice from a doctor from AAIP, then I would follow her advice.

Finally, you should be applying to the Big Three IHS schools: The University of North Dakota, The University of Minnesota-Duluth and The University of Washington.

Regards,
eagleeye

I am a 1/4 indian and 1/4 chamorro (guamanian), but don't have birth certificates from parents that backs that up. The reason being is that they intentionally put "white" under their race to prevent racial discrimination.
they both qualify as URM status for med schools.
I was wondering though--did we have to alert AMCAS when we signed up for the MCAT that we wanted to be included in the MED-MAR? Cause at the time I think I just said I don't want to be included as under-represented--mainly cause I didn't know I qualified! But now that I have read up on the issue, I have found that I am definitely URM...so Im wondering at what point along the application process do they need to verify this information from us?
Do schools consider our URM status only by virtue of what we check off in the applications? Is our ethnicity logged in somewhere when we sign up for the MCAT? I'm a bit lost.
I also want to know what kinds of documents we need to provide in order to prove our our ethnicity. I can't imagine an african-american getting interviewed and then the adcom not believing they're black and asks for birth certificates. So why would they do this to other ethnic groups? I think just by seeing me though--I easily pass as a person of my ethnic backgrounds...we'll see what happens during interviews though...

Just so you can look this up - if you have your status card, you are elligible by Jay's Treaty for a green card whenever you want it, which would open up american scholarships, loans, etc. it's very real, so i wanted to pass that info along if you didn't know about it and could use it. that also works for people who are on the tribal role in the states, that makes a person eligible for landed status in canada.

Jay's Treaty.

I am a 1/4 indian and 1/4 chamorro (guamanian), but don't have birth certificates from parents that backs that up. The reason being is that they intentionally put "white" under their race to prevent racial discrimination.
they both qualify as URM status for med schools.
I was wondering though--did we have to alert AMCAS when we signed up for the MCAT that we wanted to be included in the MED-MAR? Cause at the time I think I just said I don't want to be included as under-represented--mainly cause I didn't know I qualified! But now that I have read up on the issue, I have found that I am definitely URM...so Im wondering at what point along the application process do they need to verify this information from us?
Do schools consider our URM status only by virtue of what we check off in the applications? Is our ethnicity logged in somewhere when we sign up for the MCAT? I'm a bit lost.
I also want to know what kinds of documents we need to provide in order to prove our our ethnicity. I can't imagine an african-american getting interviewed and then the adcom not believing they're black and asks for birth certificates. So why would they do this to other ethnic groups? I think just by seeing me though--I easily pass as a person of my ethnic backgrounds...we'll see what happens during interviews though...

So all of your life you've denied your so-called URM status only to find it right before medical school applications? Riiiight.

So all of your life you've denied your so-called URM status only to find it right before medical school applications? Riiiight.

I had no idea that I "denied my heritage all my life" till you posted that wonderful insight :rolleyes:
Quite a quick read from such a short look at me as an individual...kinda disappointing.
Now, I'm not one to jump to quick conclusions about others based on a couple of sentences I see from an anonymous person on an internet forum.
I'll just assume you considered me as someone looking for a handout. In which case, I would be just as upset as you are.
And in a 'punny' conclusion, Mr Newman, don't get "MAD" ...im sure youre not worrying about it that much;)

PS: I really don't think I should have responded to that remark...So, consider my side in this debate as absent from this point on. I do not want to use my time like that anymore.

Last edited:
I had no idea that I "denied my heritage all my life" till you posted that wonderful insight :rolleyes:
Quite a quick read from such a short look at me as an individual...kinda disappointing.
Now, I'm not one to jump to quick conclusions about others based on a couple of sentences I see from an anonymous person on an internet forum.
I'll just assume you considered me as someone looking for a handout. In which case, I would be just as upset as you are.
And in a 'punny' conclusion, Mr Newman, don't get "MAD" ...im sure youre not worrying about it that much;)

PS: I really don't think I should have responded to that remark...So, consider my side in this debate as absent from this point on. I do not want to use my time like that anymore.

I'm not trying to be offensive or argumentative, Matt, but I feel that when people actively seek to find some URM blood within their bloodline for the purpose of benefitting in medical school admissions it makes a mockery of the system. You are either minority or you are not, and 1/8 blood from a Great Grandparent doesn't make somebody URM in my humble opinion. The litmus test will be within you on the day you are being interviewed and the interviewer looks at you, your last name, the ethnicity you marked down, and asks you about your heritage and upbringing--if you can sit there proudly and feel your 1/8 URM blood has disadvantaged you then more power to you, and good luck. However, admissions committees are A LOT smarter thank most people think and can filter out the BS when it comes to classifying people as URM. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
okay, i simply misread your tone is all. I'm glad this didn't get as ugly as it could have!
i agree with you though, it is a bit difficult to watch someone suddenly parade around an 1/8 indian blood (or whatever heritage it may happen to be). BUT EVEN SO, for those who are 1/8 Indian (or any other URM ethnicity), it is not my place to pass judgment for those who qualify to enter the Med-MAR.

(And just for the record, I am a quarter Indian and a quarter Chamorro)

The litmus test will be within you on the day you are being interviewed and the interviewer looks at you, your last name, the ethnicity you marked down, and asks you about your heritage and upbringing--if you can sit there proudly and feel your 1/8 URM blood has disadvantaged you then more power to you, and good luck. However, admissions committees are A LOT smarter thank most people think and can filter out the BS when it comes to classifying people as URM. Best of luck.

There is no disadvantage in having 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, or 1 URM blood. The disadvantages exist in attending poor primary and secondary schools and low SES of parent(s) who can't pay for sat prep courses or fancy computers. Also, parents who have little or no education contribute little to none academically. So, if an aspiring young child wants help with his/her homework, and the parents have little or no education, help has to come from the school.

If 1/8 is the blood quantum requirement for a tribe then I'm all for FutureIHSDoc checking the "Native" box and the "White" box. Most people do not find working on reservations or IHS clinics as attractive. The people that do work on a reservation or an IHS clinic are led in that direction.

Regards,
eagleeye

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly think a sustained connection with one's cultural heritage is far more important than blood quantum. But unfortunately, the rules aren't written that way.

How are the rules written?

Have any of you ever been asked to provide a Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood Card (CDIB) or other documentation?

This country is a "melting pot". Many people who claim they are black are not mostly (>50%) african heritage. Perhaps admissions draws the line by asking for documentation. As in the previous example, some origins couldn't be fully documented.

How are the rules written?

Have any of you ever been asked to provide a Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood Card (CDIB) or other documentation?

This country is a "melting pot". Many people who claim they are black are not mostly (>50%) african heritage. Perhaps admissions draws the line by asking for documentation. As in the previous example, some origins couldn't be fully documented.

That's because Black is a culture and an experience, not just a percentage of a lineage so admixture (that occurred during slavery) is relatively un-important to classifying oneself as Black. (Halle Berry is bi-racial but has still experienced racism and considers herself "Black", which is her choice and right to do so or to not do so.)

I find it sad when people who *look* White, are completely involved in White culture with few (if any) roots to USM, and date nothing but White people try to claim URM-status.

IA with sunlioness.

MsKrispyKreme,

What you're pointing out is exactly correct. And yet, in American Indian/First Nations issues, there is something called a "status card" in Canada and being on the "roll" in the States. Even though a person may be a contributing member to their community, if they don't have the status card, they are not what they truly are in the eyes of the national government, many organizations that use the government's rules for determining identity status, and unfortunately, even with the tribal government in terms of being able to have land on reserve, etc. Black people have slavery, Native Americans have a policy of forced marches and annihilation and in Canada First Nations communities have a history of residential schools where for decades children as young as five were forcibly taken from their families and put into residential schools where there were countless abuses and a lot of death as well. Please, do a bit of reading up on this, because it is a very painful point. Many families are not on the roll because they did not want to forcibly be marched to Oklahoma etc, die on the way, have nothing when they got there. I know of one person in the states whose family history was surviving a U.S. Army massacre of their community. Two surviving members went to live with Mohawk people, whose territory extends between Canada and the U.S. His Grandmother told him never to seek status, because the government would then know where he was. There is a lot that is still wrong with that system. I happen to know that Howard asks for proof of band membership in the form of being on the Roll. I always wonder why Howard of all places would not start to know a little about the First Nations experience. This is truly important. Remember whose land we are all on, no matter how and when we got here.

I'm leaving the U.S. and going home and in packing up, I came across the hardcopy of something I wrote to Howard when I applied a couple years ago. So I dug into the computer files and found it, and I'll cutandpaste it below. Meanwhile, in the words of one of my favourite powwow songs, "Darling, don't cry, when I leave the USA, if you like I'll take you home, when I go back to Canada, heyahey heyaha" :)

I wonder if the wording of that question ever did change...
While reading the wording of this question, a few thoughts came to me which are so important that I felt moved to write this note. The wording of this question can be considered disempowering by tying self-description to proof of a certificate. Within Indigenous community, there has been great political activity and upset over the fact that people who are part of the community can be decreed “non-status” (as this is called in Canada) by the government. Many people are upset over the government being the arbitrator of who is Indian.

In Canada, there was a great movement by Aboriginal women to retain their status and the status of their children if they had married men who were ‘non-status’. This was a right that men had but women didn’t. That struggle went all the way to the United Nations and eventually succeeded.

In response to this issue of the Government defining ‘status’ and ‘who is an Indian’, many people in the Aboriginal community choose to recognize ‘self-definition’ or ‘community-definition’ irregardless of the government’s decision. ‘Self-definition’ stands as a post-colonial corrective to the government defining community through ‘status’ in Canada or “Certificates’ in the U.S..

The wording to the question I was moved to respond to seems to flow so that if a person circles ‘Yes’ to being ‘self-described as a Native American” and does not have a Certificate of Tribal Affiliation, the person would be redirected to choose “No”. This reinscribes the system that a person cannot be Indian unless one has been deemed suitable by the government.

In thinking through this question, the wording could better reflect the post-colonial reclamation of self-identification and self-government with the following suggestions:

1) If you have a Certificate of Tribal Affiliation and would like to provide a copy, please attach this to your application.

2) Yes or No: I am self-described as a Native American. If Yes, Yes or No: I have a Certificate of Tribal Affiliation. If Yes, please attach your Certificate…

I hope that I have succeeded in interesting you in the cultural specificities of Aboriginal community in North America. This community has done so much healing work at the cultural and social level, and self-description is very much part of that. I myself sit at the margins of this community, as a non-Aboriginal partner of a Two-Spirit Cree woman who has no time for white people ‘trying to be Indian’ but who does support me in speaking up in the way I am doing now. I myself come from an Irish background, Ireland only just becoming post-colonial in the early 1900’s, after 700 years of colonization.

Hello,

I am a pre-medical student and I am 1/8th Seminole Indian.
my great grandmother was a Seminole and although I do not have tribal affiliation it has been a big part of my life! I volunteer with a local non profit Native American organization that brings education about Native American artists, culture, history, and dance, to elementary schools around the area!

Does anyone know what the process is when applying for Native American status when applying to allopathic medical school?

Thank you very much!

To qualify for Native American status you must apply at the tribal headquarters of interest. In your case, you need to apply at the tribal headquarters of the Seminole Nation. You have to find out which Seminole tribe you are affilated with. A Seminole Tribe exists in Florida and another Seminole Tribe exists in Oklahoma. Call to ask what they require for formal membership into the tribe.

Regards,
eagleeye

I have a great grandmother the was Lakota Sioux, we have searched and searched to find any record of her on a role with no luck. I know it was more of the major tribes that were recorded but there has to be some way to prove this relationship.

And before anyone gets their panties bunched up I am not just now claiming this to get a leg up into medical school or benefits, just recently had a grandmother die who was very tight lipped about her past and especially her husbands parents(dead before I was born) and as we try to recreate our genealogy we have ran across this relation and was wondering if anyone has a source that may be helpful. Thanks!

I have a great grandmother the was Lakota Sioux, we have searched and searched to find any record of her on a role with no luck. I know it was more of the major tribes that were recorded but there has to be some way to prove this relationship.

Hi Dling! I'm half Lakota, I work with The Repulic of Lokota. Lived most summers near the Pine Ridge Reservation.

I might be able to help you locate some information but it will be difficult. Generally there are no "rolls" (like the Dawes Rolls) for Lakota. And many Lakota and Dakota refused to be entered on any census as it was seen as accepting white rule. I had a CDIB for a few years but the Republic had a falling out with the BIA, then most of us burned them when the Republic of Lakota, www.[B]republicoflakota[/B]h.com ,succeeded from the United States.

I can point you in a couple directions, have you had any ties at all to the culture? Are you aware of the different levels of voting rights and affiliations? If you have been connected in some way the Republic can write you a letter for Medical School. PM me and I'll try to help.

Hello I am completing my AMCAS Application. While completing the application I had a question regarding the background portion, more specifically the ethnicity and race designation section. I am half Mexican and relate my ethnicity to be Hispanic. However, for the race portion I consider myself not only to be white but also American Indian. Under the tribe affiliation I put “Mexico” for the fairest representation of my beliefs. This is based on the knowledge of my family coming from a group of Native Americans in Northern Mexico. While I hold no knowledge of or participation in a tribe, I feel that that portion of my genetic and racial background still exists for me and should not be overshadowed with the misrepresentation that all people from Mexico are white (as the application seems to force). I also am not trying to show any disrespect for the native tribes of North America by representing false connections to their heritage or culture. I am wondering if you feel the criteria that I have used are fair. Also, I wanted to make sure that this designation would not lower my chances of admission or how my application would be viewed. I personally feel that they are trying to make a precise distinction on an issue that cannot be. Even the United States Census allows for the race option of “Other”; which allows many in my situation the option designate themselves as Hispanic (or alternate desigination).

I am also half Mexican. Mexicans either carry native indigenous blood or a mixture of indigenous blood + Spanish (or some other European) blood, which may then translate into various shades of skin color. I interpreted the "Native American" designation on AMCAS to refer to just that - Indian tribes in America, not Mexican indigenous tribes. I do, however, understand your point about the "Hispanic" designation. By checking off that box, we are acknowledging the Spanish blood that Mexicans carry. We are not acknowledging the Mexican indigenous blood that we carry (which is your point), but, as I mentioned before, I don't think the "Native American" box is for that.

This is a comlicated subject since some tribes are BIA recognized, others are state recognized, and some tribes (although legit) are NOT recognized..... and then, each school chooses different criteria to either accept or reject the applicant's tribal affilaition. If the applicant can join a tribe or has a CDIB card, there are NO problems. If the applicant is not a member of a tribe and has no documents to prove his/her ancestry, well then it is complicated- but not impossible. Some Medical Schools are more lenient in their decision making process and allow you to be on the "honor system" in terms of what you claim. (Liars take the risk of someday being caught and expelled. I HAVE no RESPECT FOR LIARS HERE.)

Being part Indian myself, I have contemplated the thought of establishing an "INER-TRIBAL" organization to authenticate claims of Indian ancestry for those who fall into this situation of needing "proof" for the medical school admissions office. The preparation of a legal notorized declartion by such an inter-tribal group should be sufficient evidence for certain schools, but not all. Some schools have seats for BIA Indians only.... and they cannot accept a lesser form of proof..... but not all schools are like this.... you must assess each school individually.

IF YOU FEEL THAT SUCH AN INTER-TRIBAL ORGANIZATIONAL DECLARATION MIGHT BE A GOOD ROUTE TO GO, LEAVE A MESSAGE AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU, SHOULD YOU OFFER AN E-MAIL ADRESS.

This is a comlicated subject since some tribes are BIA recognized, others are state recognized, and some tribes (although legit) are NOT recognized..... and then, each school chooses different criteria to either accept or reject the applicant's tribal affilaition. If the applicant can join a tribe or has a CDIB card, there are NO problems. If the applicant is not a member of a tribe and has no documents to prove his/her ancestry, well then it is complicated- but not impossible. Some Medical Schools are more lenient in their decision making process and allow you to be on the "honor system" in terms of what you claim. (Liars take the risk of someday being caught and expelled. I HAVE no RESPECT FOR LIARS HERE.)

Being part Indian myself, I have contemplated the thought of establishing an "INER-TRIBAL" organization to authenticate claims of Indian ancestry for those who fall into this situation of needing "proof" for the medical school admissions office. The preparation of a legal notorized declartion by such an inter-tribal group should be sufficient evidence for certain schools, but not all. Some schools have seats for BIA Indians only.... and they cannot accept a lesser form of proof..... but not all schools are like this.... you must assess each school individually.

IF YOU FEEL THAT SUCH AN INTER-TRIBAL ORGANIZATIONAL DECLARATION MIGHT BE A GOOD ROUTE TO GO, LEAVE A MESSAGE AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU, SHOULD YOU OFFER AN E-MAIL ADRESS.

If you can't get a CDIB, how exactly are you going to prove Indian ancestry? For a CDIB, you need to just show descent from somebody on some federal Indian roll. How will you be able to prove what isn't on Indian rolls that are a 100+ years old.