qualitative research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikibah

MSW student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a qualitative research class next semester and I am terrible with statistics/numbers. Will this be an issue? How much math/ statistics is involved?

PS. I'm in an MSW program but asking the question here because I believe that the doctoral students have way more overall research experience the masters level students.

Members don't see this ad.

First, statistics isn't "math" per say. Just because something involves numbers doesn't make it math. Statistics, particularly the important part (e.g., interpreting statistics) is more about logic than it is about math. Second, if ever you have to take a quantitative research/stats class, remember that thinking you're bad at math is likely to be a self-fulfilling prophecy...ask for help and try to think about what the numbers mean!

That said, qualitative research involves very little in the way of numbers, typically. Qualitative research is more about description and classification without numbers, about making meaning from a pile of interview data (just for but one example).

Thanks! well whatever statistics is, I am awful at it. I had a 4.0 undergrad.........besides for stats in which I got a C and I worked my BUTT off. I just hate it. Now I'm holding a 4.0 in grad and I'm taking my first research courses next semester....weeeee.