Quality of Life and FP Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daelroy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard one of the advantages to going into family practice is that residency isn't as intense as other fields.

Due to my age and situation, my wife and I have discussed having a child within the next few years.

Is it possible that FP residencies in community hospitals can afford me some semblance of a normal life during residency so I could spend time with my child? Or is this just wishfull thinking?

For example, I knew one person who got a Q8 schedule during her intern year. That seems pretty good to me.

Members don't see this ad.

It is doable. I have a female friend who had a child each year of her 3 yr fp residency. she worked until the onset of labor and took 1 week off after each was born....was chief resident her r3 yr too

I've been interviewing at different residency positions this year and the feeling that I have is that intern year is rough no matter where you are. After that, it really depends on the program... and the amount of moonlighting you want to do. Most R3's seem to take call about 2xmonth with most of the calls being at home and as back-up.

Q4 first year,
Q6 2nd year,
Q 12 3rd year, 3 months no call.

at that how it is where I'm at.