Quality of Pre-med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhymenoceros

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here's my situation: I just graduated from a 4-yr private university with a B.S. in Communication, and I need to take the basic pre-med courses before I can go to med school.

I've been accepted to Columbia's post-bacc premed program, but the cost of going and living in New York is daunting. On the other side, there is a SUNY school in my hometown where I could take the classes I need and save a ton of money.

My GPA for undergrad was a 3.8, so I'm hoping to be able to attend a top medical school. The question is, is Columbia's reputation enough to warrant undertaking a huge debt load before med school? That is, if I decide to go to the SUNY school, will I still be able to get into a top-notch medical school, provided I ace the MCATs?

Obviously, Columbia's structured program has its advantages, but the SUNY school also has a pre-health sciences advisory board that interviews, provides advising, writes letters of recommendation and the like. Also, there are several area hospitals near the school where I could volunteer and gain experience.

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

rhymenoceros said:
So, here's my situation: I just graduated from a 4-yr private university with a B.S. in Communication, and I need to take the basic pre-med courses before I can go to med school.

I've been accepted to Columbia's post-bacc premed program, but the cost of going and living in New York is daunting. On the other side, there is a SUNY school in my hometown where I could take the classes I need and save a ton of money.

My GPA for undergrad was a 3.8, so I'm hoping to be able to attend a top medical school. The question is, is Columbia's reputation enough to warrant undertaking a huge debt load before med school? That is, if I decide to go to the SUNY school, will I still be able to get into a top-notch medical school, provided I ace the MCATs?

Obviously, Columbia's structured program has its advantages, but the SUNY school also has a pre-health sciences advisory board that interviews, provides advising, writes letters of recommendation and the like. Also, there are several area hospitals near the school where I could volunteer and gain experience.

Thanks for any help.

I'll attempt to help you out here cuz no one has....I'd say no to Columbia. First of all, if you search on this site you'll find countless negative opinions about that program...and it's obscenely expensive. For someone who graduated from a 4 yr school with your GPA I'd say if you keep that up for your pre med reqs you will get into med school without a doubt....my opinion gets controversial, however, on the issue of getting into a top medical school. If you have your heart set on a top 5-10 school where you went to school could make a slight difference....your MCAT score would really be the deciding factor here. If you have that 3.8 from a great undergrad school I'd say go to the SUNY school definitely.....if it's from a lesser known school, getting a few more high grades from Columbia and a great MCAT score will make you competitive for a top school. As controversial as it is, there is a correlation between SAT scores (and top undergrad schools) and MCAT scores...so what i'm saying is a 3.8 GPA from a relatively non competitive undergrad school plus a 3.8 SUNY post bacc GPA plus a "good" MCAT score might not get you into that top med school....However, those numbers from a reputable undergrad school plus an above average MCAT score just might....my 2 cents. best of luck.

Chrissy said:
I'll attempt to help you out here cuz no one has....I'd say no to Columbia. First of all, if you search on this site you'll find countless negative opinions about that program...and it's obscenely expensive. For someone who graduated from a 4 yr school with your GPA I'd say if you keep that up for your pre med reqs you will get into med school without a doubt....my opinion gets controversial, however, on the issue of getting into a top medical school. If you have your heart set on a top 5-10 school where you went to school could make a slight difference....your MCAT score would really be the deciding factor here. If you have that 3.8 from a great undergrad school I'd say go to the SUNY school definitely.....if it's from a lesser known school, getting a few more high grades from Columbia and a great MCAT score will make you competitive for a top school. As controversial as it is, there is a correlation between SAT scores (and top undergrad schools) and MCAT scores...so what i'm saying is a 3.8 GPA from a relatively non competitive undergrad school plus a 3.8 SUNY post bacc GPA plus a "good" MCAT score might not get you into that top med school....However, those numbers from a reputable undergrad school plus an above average MCAT score just might....my 2 cents. best of luck.

Thanks for the advice. Just for the record, my undergrad school is Clarkson University in NY, and I got a 1460 on my SATs.

Oh, I'd still appreciate any other opinions of any of you out there. Thanks.

While the competitiveness and reputation will always matter some, it matters less so for post-bacc institutions and you seem to be doing fine anyways. I'd say SUNY.