Qualms About Retaking The Mcat!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DZT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEY Y'ALL, I'M GETTING SECOND THOUGHTS ABOUT TAKING THE MCAT IN 2 WEEKS! I REALLY HAVENT BEEN GUNG-HO IN STUDYING DURING THE SUMMER AND ON MY FIRST MCAT, I GOT A 29S (6VR, 12BS, 11PS). I DONT THINK I CAN KICK UP THAT VERBAL SCORE IN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME, AND EVEN IF I GO UP ONE POINT ON VERBAL, MY "COMPOSITE" MCAT WILL GO TO 30, BUT I HEAR THAT FEW SCHOOLS TAKE COMPOSITE SCORES, BUT LOOK AT THE WHOLE PICTURE ON 2ND MCAT. WHAT DO YOU THINK, SHOULD I JUST STICK IT OUT WITH MY 29, OR TAKE THE DAMN THING AGAIN, AND RISK A LOWER SCORE AND A LATE APPLICATION?

Members don't see this ad.

IF YOU THINK YOU CAN'T DO BETTER ON VERBAL THAN YOU WON'T (STOP) THE BALANCE OF THE SCORES MATTERS BUT ONLY TAKE IT IN AUGUST IF YOU KNOW THAT YOU WILL DO BETTER (STOP) DON'T DO A HALF JOB, IT ISN'T WORTH IT (STOP)(OVER)

-JOT

ouch! My ears hurt.
(all caps = yelling)

how are your practice tests going?
you're doing well in the sciences... are you keeping up those scores? do you feel confident in being able to get those same numbers again?
I think the real risk is that your verbal goes up slightly, but your sciences fall substantially.
not trying to be a dicc - but is english your first language? a 6 really isnt a solid score - but from the rest of your scores it seems like you'e a pretty smart guy/girl. if english isnt your first language - I think that buys you some leeway.. though not that much.
THe flip side of that though is that with a 6 it should be reasonably easy to bump your grade up significantly - say an 8.
Search this forum for "verbal" or MCAT and you'll find a couple useful tips. I cant recall the thread I responded too, but I laid out a couple of points. I have a couple suggestions:
1) dont try and finish all the questions... aim for accuracy more than quantity
2) take 2-3 minutes before you start to briefly skim ALL the passages - find the ones that you like the most (i.e. familiar topics, easy to understand...) and do those first
3) read "criticially": just ask yourself one question when reading anything: "good or bad" (neutral is also an answer). The author says pollution damages the water and has been known to also contaminate.... You: Pollution BAD.
but pollution is a the result of the rapid growth of industry... You: INdustry growth GOOD.
It sounds stupid, but it really worked for me (13V)
good luck