Quantum Mechanics Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhenslee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one have a more intuitive way of thinking about subshell energy levels and the order they fill?

I know that there are some first-row transition metals that are degenerate, and there is Hund's rule to consider, but somehow this concept always confuses me.

Members don't see this ad.

Follow the red line:

aufbau1.gif

Is that what you're referring to?

exactly what i'm taking about. for some reason this image gets muddled in my brain, i was just wondering if anyone knew some handy way to remember this order

Members don't see this ad :)
Aside from that not really. You could always just try to remember 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p6 5s2...

Just go by the periodic table, the 1st and 2nd columns are the s orbitals, 3-8 are the p orbitals, the transition metals are d orbitals except remember to subtract 1 from the row...for example you want to find configuration of Ti: everthing up till (Ar) is full so you already have 1s2,2s2,2p6,3s2,3p6...4s2 is full also since Ti comes after K and Ca...now the d row is the 4th one but you remember to subtract one so its actually 3d and Ti is the second elemend in the row so its 3d2

I hope this is what you were asking about

exactly what i'm taking about. for some reason this image gets muddled in my brain, i was just wondering if anyone knew some handy way to remember this order

That is the handy way, my man. The whole number letter system is a simplification. Enjoy it.

Does any one have a more intuitive way of thinking about subshell energy levels and the order they fill?

I know that there are some first-row transition metals that are degenerate, and there is Hund's rule to consider, but somehow this concept always confuses me.
Just keep this in mind, when you try to fill the subshells of the same energy level, all the subshells need to be half filled first. There are only rules, I guess.