Quarter System Disadvantage for AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBossDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we know, AAMC is trolling hard this year when it comes to verifying applications quickly, meaning that people that submitted within the first week are the only ones that really seem to be at an advantage so far in terms of getting verified early.

I sort of wanted to rant about how this is a huge disadvantage for quarter system people. The first week of submissions was literally during our finals week, and during the few weeks before the opening date, most of us were really busy with schoolwork since classes were still in session. And after finals were done, I'm sure a lot of us had to take a week or two after that to finish up AMCAS. And of course, there's always the part about how we either have to leave out spring quarter grades or wait a couple weeks to send the transcript with the new grades (and thus delay verification).

Meanwhile, all the semester system people have it really easy. They got done with school in mid-May, giving them a solid 3-4 weeks to do nothing but work on their AMCAS (PS and all that), meaning that they were easily ready to submit by June 10. Total bulls**t

TL;DR: This is all BS. Semester system people have it really easy. System should change so that submissions don't start until at least July 1.

Members don't see this ad.

As we know, AAMC is trolling hard this year when it comes to verifying applications quickly, meaning that people that submitted within the first week are the only ones that really seem to be at an advantage so far in terms of getting verified early.

I sort of wanted to rant about how this is a huge disadvantage for quarter system people. The first week of submissions was literally during our finals week, and during the few weeks before the opening date, most of us were really busy with schoolwork since classes were still in session. And after finals were done, I'm sure a lot of us had to take a week or two after that to finish up AMCAS. And of course, there's always the part about how we either have to leave out spring quarter grades or wait a couple weeks to send the transcript with the new grades (and thus delay verification).

Meanwhile, all the semester system people have it really easy. They got done with school in mid-May, giving them a solid 3-4 weeks to do nothing but work on their AMCAS (PS and all that), meaning that they were easily ready to submit by June 10. Total bulls**t

TL;DR: This is all BS. Semester system people have it really easy. System should change so that submissions don't start until at least July 1.

AAMC is doing the right thing by making June 1 the opening date of submission. I hate to say this, but you knowingly put yourself at a disadvantage by matriculating at a quarter school, when the AAMC utilizes the much more popular semester credits. The best way is to not take classes in the spring quarter and use that time to prepare and submit your AMCAS on time.

I wasn't going to say it, but since B already did...

They really can't accommodate everyone. I'm probably very biased, though, being from a semester school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to say this, but you knowingly put yourself at a disadvantage by matriculating at a quarter school, when the AAMC utilizes the much more popular semester credits.

Because we should all totally choose to attend a certain undergrad school JUST because we'll be able to turn in our AMCAS earlier if we end up applying 3-4 years later. smh

The best way is to not take classes in the spring quarter and use that time to prepare and submit your AMCAS on time.

I sort of considered that, but it kind of does look bad to take a break from school and have a gap in the academic record just because of this (a poor excuse IMO). It'd suck to have to explain it to medical schools to. If I could've graduated after winter quarter, that would have been nice, but I barely graduated on time as is.

I don't think an amcas primary app warrants an entire spring quarter off lol. Sure, you should spend a lot of time on your ps but that doesn't mean you have to be working on it 3 hours a day for a month...

Because we should all totally choose to attend a certain undergrad school JUST because we'll be able to turn in our AMCAS earlier if we end up applying 3-4 years later. smh

I sort of considered that, but it kind of does look bad to take a break from school and have a gap in the academic record just because of this (a poor excuse IMO). It'd suck to have to explain it to medical schools to. If I could've graduated after winter quarter, that would have been nice, but I barely graduated on time as is.

Some people have been working on the personal statement, activity descriptions, and meaningful experience descriptions since last year.

Having graduated from a school with a quarter system, there is still the month long winter break and the week long spring break.

The first couple weeks of each quarter are also a blow off.

Yeah, I feel your pain for sure! I didn't go to a quarter system, but for some reason my school just wouldn't print our transcripts until June 10th, which did put me at a disadvantage now I think. I've spent way too much time being stressed/mad about this hah. But, just try to put that energy into pre-writing secondaries and realize unfortunately we can't change anything about it :(. You'll still be ahead of the game!

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'm on the quarter system and we got done with school in mid June. Was extremely busy with finals and couldn't submit AMCAS until June 20. If I had been done in May, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have had that thing submitted on the first day possible. lol.

In the meantime while you're waiting to get verified, do what I'm doing and pre-write secondaries. After all, if you can have those ready to go when you actually get the secondaries, and submit them to their respective schools the day you get them or soon after, you can make up for some of that lost time. Well, unless everyone else pre-wrote their secondaries too.