quarter vs. semester system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rose786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Trying to decide on a school for my post-bacc (or MS) and got to thinking...is there any difference in the way grades are calculated by AADSAS/TMDSAS for grades on quarter vs semester system?

Does one give a more favorable gpa calculation? (hope that makes sense)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Trying to decide on a school for my post-bacc (or MS) and got to thinking...is there any difference in the way grades are calculated by AADSAS/TMDSAS for grades on quarter vs semester system?

Does one give a more favorable gpa calculation? (hope that makes sense)

How could one favor gpa calculation?

I know it's a weird question. haha

What I meant to ask is: Is the AADSAS calculation for quarter grades the same as what the school calculates? What about semester grades? Does it usually go up or down.

I seem to recall AADSAS calculations for quarter grades being more involved.

Members don't see this ad :)
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']This is how it worked for me - but I was a transfer student half way through my undergrad. It doesnt matter ultimately unless you are a very, very picky person and have to have down to the last .000X of your GPA affected. For me, AADSAS measured everything in Semester hours so the classes I took on the quarter system were automatically converted to semester hours (I transferred from a quarter system school to a semester one). For example, one 5 credit quarter class will give you 5 * 2/3 = 3.34 semester hours (I know, it should be 3 and 1/3 but they round up to 3.34. My undergrad that I transferred to rounded down to 3.33). Ok, thats fine, but lets say that you take three 5 credit quarter classes (one class a quarter for three quarters), that should be 15 * 2/3 = 10 credits right? Wrong, it will give you 3.34 + 3.34 + 3.34 = 10.02 credits. This could be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it (your grades), and only if you take one class at a time. .

Thanks jon for your detailed reply.