Quebec Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kathleen914

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from Montreal, and I know Quebec always has it's own special regulations. I was reading the CaRMS website/McGill University programs and came across this: "International Medical Graduates who complete the eligibility process of the College des medecins du Quebec can be considered via the First iteration of the carms Match."

Now, I went and read up at the CMQ site and I'm guessing what you need to do is get your medical degree recognized as being equivalent. What do you know about this process? Or is this another glimmer of false hope? I am fluent in French so that will not be a problem.

Let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't really bothered to check the residency process yet, but I had the feeling it was totally different from other provinces. Quebec has its own matching process, I think. Now about your question, I can't really help you. :( I'll update my post if I find more info :oops:

* looks up info on quebec residency *

Blake, McGill (where I'm guessing you are?) goes through CaRMS - I do believe the French speaking universities have their own match though.

Where are you graduating from Kathleen? I'm also a transplanted Montrealer but I hope to have a shot at matching into McGill peds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Coll?ge des M?decins du Qu?bec (CMQ)
2170 boul. Ren?-L?vesque
Montr?al, Qu?bec, Canada H3H 2T8
Personne ressource : Mme Myriam Paquet
tel: (514) 933-4441 poste 273
fax: (514) 933-3112
www.cmq.org

Lara said:
Blake, McGill (where I'm guessing you are?) goes through CaRMS - I do believe the French speaking universities have their own match though.

Where are you graduating from Kathleen? I'm also a transplanted Montrealer but I hope to have a shot at matching into McGill peds.
Not a mcgill student. It was the only school that rejected me, and besides I wouldn't have gone there anyway. Sherbrooke is where it's at :p

McGill also participates in the Quebec "other" route whereby you are allowed to apply to 2 residency positions at each Quebec uni. (8 total)

Correct me if I am wrong, as an IMG, to be eligilbe for this, you have to have you license recognized by the College des Medecins and be a Quebec resident (or maintain you Quebec residency which is ridiculously easy if you've gone abroad to study).

For CaRMS, you have to be a Canadian citizen or immigrant or resident or whatever else but it's not province-dependant. This is also true if you apply to McGill thru CaRMS.

-S

that is true.. carms in Canada wide..

Quebec system is only quebec.. you have to have residency (assurance malady).. I still have mine.. but I don't think you can participate in the match... maybe just when you speciallize outside you can come back and works afterwards.

docbill,

with your assurance maladie, which is proof of quebec residency, you can participate, along with graduates of quebec medical schools, in the residency match. you apply directly to laval, umontreal, usherbrooke and mcgill. you are allowed a max of 2 applications per uni.

this is assuming you get your license recognized.

-S

OK, I've done some searching on my own, but all the info I find doesn't really tell me much... I'm a US citizen and will get my degree from a US Medical School (SUNY Buffalo). I'm interested in the possibility of doing residency at McGill (Neuro or psych). How likely of a possibility is it (if I am a competitive applicant in the states)?

According to the Mcgill website, it is possible for foreign grads to do residency there. BUT, do any of you know Americans who have actually done it??? and if so, how big of a hassle did it turn out to be???

Thanks for any replies.

JMD said:
OK, I've done some searching on my own, but all the info I find doesn't really tell me much... I'm a US citizen and will get my degree from a US Medical School (SUNY Buffalo). I'm interested in the possibility of doing residency at McGill (Neuro or psych). How likely of a possibility is it (if I am a competitive applicant in the states)?

According to the Mcgill website, it is possible for foreign grads to do residency there. BUT, do any of you know Americans who have actually done it??? and if so, how big of a hassle did it turn out to be???

Thanks for any replies.

If you are an American citizen (and ONLY an American citizen, that is, no dual citizenship) then it is very doable, as they have a special quota for various residency programs.

euromd said:
docbill,

with your assurance maladie, which is proof of quebec residency, you can participate, along with graduates of quebec medical schools, in the residency match. you apply directly to laval, umontreal, usherbrooke and mcgill. you are allowed a max of 2 applications per uni.

this is assuming you get your license recognized.

-S

Euromd,

Sorry I did not notice this post.

Is this true... only need assurance maladie. What if you studies in another province or US (but maintain quebec residency). I had some problem with them regarding my quebec residency for med school application. They told me that Minister d'education is different and has different regulations.

Is there a website where it sais that?

Thanks
BA