Queries..Can u help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omfs1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Can some1 explain me the methods of reproduction in bacteria in way that i remember(mnemonic way) transduction,translation,trancsription and all other forms.
2. How to remember the obligate aerobes, anaerobes,gram positive,negative , hemolytics..any memorizing formula guys???
3. Am confused with toxoid and anti-toxins..are they the same..the examples are- diphth and tetanus.??

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Reproduction of bacteria
(a) Conjugation - the two bacteria need to conjugate (means need physical contact) through pila (conjugation tube)
(b) Transduction - a bacteria is transduced with another's DNA by bacteriophage
(c) Transformation - a bacteria simply take up the DNA of another bacteria from the vicinity

2. I also could not find a good formula myself but it was kind of helpful studying from the NBDE first aid (table 18.4 pg. 438).

3. Toxoid = toxin like (not true toxin). Toxoid have antigenicity but do not have harmful effect like toxin. The antigenicity of the toxiod can induce acquired active immunity (means need time).
Anti-toxin = conteract toxin. They are preformed antibody which will neutralized the toxin (acquired passive immunity in a short time).
So, to warp up toxin, toxoid and anti-toxin are different :). Hope it is helpful for your study.

3- toxoid: modified TOXIN (usec to activate immnue system)
anti-toxin: ANTIBODY (used to neutralize toxin)

1. Can some1 explain me the methods of reproduction in bacteria in way that i remember(mnemonic way) transduction,translation,trancsription and all other forms.
2. How to remember the obligate aerobes, anaerobes,gram positive,negative , hemolytics..any memorizing formula guys???
3. Am confused with toxoid and anti-toxins..are they the same..the examples are- diphth and tetanus.??

Thanks.

Hi OMFS,
For obligate aerobes it is Nagging Pests Must Breathe-- Nocardia,pseudomonas,mycobacterium,Bacillus
for obligate anaerobes the mnemonic is ABC-- Actinomyces,Bacteroides and Clostridium.For Hemolytics--It is alpha,beta and gamma which is almost,best and garbage.Alpha there is partial breakdown of heme,hence almost.Beta there is completele lysis hence best and Gamma there is no hemolysis hence garbage.TC

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everybody ,

Thank u so much...It gets so easier to remember things now..:thumbup:
Thank u Twinkle, 90 and mrswin.:luck:
Keep guiding :love:

good one twinkle! thanks for sharin!

Hey Dentgod,
i feel so embarassed.:oops:I didn't make up that mnemonic.Some one else made that up putting in lots of effort and mind into it.And me taking the credit for it?No way!All i did was share it.Hehe!

hI gUYS ,

If while preparing for the exam--u remember any such formulas or quick easy ways to remember them..please share..thanks..and so will i..

Branches of EC Artery
Sister Lucy's Powdered Face Often Attracts Medical Students

hI gUYS ,

If while preparing for the exam--u remember any such formulas or quick easy ways to remember them..please share..thanks..and so will i..

That is good dentgod.Thank you.
Hi twinkle - studies going ok dear.I strted with micro..Though done with bacteria , steriliztn once..now doing it the final time with notes and dental decks..aj kal immunology pe hun..what abt you?

That is good dentgod.Thank you.
Hi twinkle - studies going ok dear.I strted with micro..Though done with bacteria , steriliztn once..now doing it the final time with notes and dental decks..aj kal immunology pe hun..what abt you?

Well iam into part2.Hoping to give the exam soon.Give your exam quick and lets do the part2 together.Hehe!

Hi Twinkle ,

wow thats good..Touch wood..hope it finishes off well soon..me not very consistent in prep..something or other keeps happening.
How much u scored?and have u applied to any school yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Twinkle ,

wow thats good..Touch wood..hope it finishes off well soon..me not very consistent in prep..something or other keeps happening.
How much u scored?and have u applied to any school yet?
Not worth reporting.Well,yes i've started applying.Pain!

Hi,

Oh thats great..all the best for that.
Any advice u can give me..how to's u know?
Cz at time sit is difficult to keep up with the momentum everyday.
well today i decided to finish up two topics..cz it is better to finish off smaller topics then pile em up and feel bad.
what say???

Hi,

Oh thats great..all the best for that.
Any advice u can give me..how to's u know?
Cz at time sit is difficult to keep up with the momentum everyday.
well today i decided to finish up two topics..cz it is better to finish off smaller topics then pile em up and feel bad.
what say???

Man! u r the boss!Wat ever works for you.Take one thing at a time or everything at once...ur comfort level.It all depends on how much time you have up your sleeve.TC

Love the statement dear.;)
yeah u are right, in the end everything goes back to whatever works for the person on individual level..:thumbup:
Thanks .
take care and all the best for ur prep.Keep msging.:thumbup::luck:

Well currentli , me finishing off my micro..but one thing i wanted to ask u.
I am reading kaplan notes..but i cant find the topic of culture media..Where should i read it from??

Hi twinkle,

Oh ok, no problem-i understand.Am just trying to gather all the experience and knowledge cz it really helps and keeps 1 motivated.
U tell me how is your preparation coming along?When u planning to take the part 2?

hi,
one question pls.can anybody explain the direction of enamel rods both in primary and permanent teeth.is it different coz i saw two separate que with different answers.where r these straight and in what regions the slope apically or occlusally??

hi,
one question pls.can anybody explain the direction of enamel rods both in primary and permanent teeth.is it different coz i saw two separate que with different answers.where r these straight and in what regions the slope apically or occlusally??

Anniestar,
The enamel rods at the cervical thrid of the primary and permanent tooth are in different directions. Clinical application for class II cavity preparation.
Primary teeth - Occlusally directed
Permanent teeth - Apically directed

thanks mrswinidm,
i have released papers till pilot 2004.do u think papers from 2005-2009 are also available.if yes??where can i get these from??
thanks

anniestar,
there are two more released papers after 2004 pilot. u can get it from ADA.

hi,
pls answer this question

An organ with a retroperitoneal location that
can be approached surgically without violating
the continuity of the peritoneum is the​

1.ovary.
2.kidney.
3.spleen.​
4.gallbladder

one more please,
In which of the following conditions is oxygen​
partial pressure​
in arterial blood low?/

Anemia
Polycythemia
Pulmonary AV shunt
Hypovolemia due to hemorrhage.​

yes twinkle star u r right,this is the answer given but i don't understand.can you explain pls???

THIS IS ONE OF THE RELEASED QUESTIONS AND THEY HAVE GIVEN THE ANSWER AS TRANSSEPTAL.DO U THINK THE ANSWER IS CORRECT??

QUESTION
Which of the following fibers are​
NOT

periodontal ligament fibers?​

Apical
Oblique
Principal​
Transverse
Transseptal​
Interradicular

THIS IS ONE OF THE RELEASED QUESTIONS AND THEY HAVE GIVEN THE ANSWER AS TRANSSEPTAL.DO U THINK THE ANSWER IS CORRECT??

QUESTION
Which of the following fibers are​
NOT

periodontal ligament fibers?​

Apical
Oblique
Principal​
Transverse
Transseptal​
Interradicular
PDL FIBRES are Apical,horizontal,oblique,alveolar crest and interradicular fibres.The gingival fibres are Alveologingival group,dentogingival group,dentoperiostial,circular and transseptal fibres.

PDL FIBRES are Apical,horizontal,oblique,alveolar crest and interradicular fibres.The gingival fibres are Alveologingival group,dentogingival group,dentoperiostial,circular and transseptal fibres.

what about principal and transverse fibres??

Common airborne fungi that cause
opportunistic infections in debilitated
individuals include all of the following​
EXCEPT​
Candida.
Rhizopus.​
Aspergillus.
Cryptococcus.​

the answer is candida.pls explain

1.Which of the following​
positions would yield

the​
smallest measurement of vertical

dimension?​

Reverse overlap​
Edge-to-edge
Retruded contact
Maximum intercuspation (ans)
2​
. On the occlusal surface of a maxillary molar,

the groove that​
representsthe working path
of the distofacial
cusp of the mandibular

molar is the​
central groove.
facial groove.(ans)​
lingual​
groove.

distal oblique groove.​
transverse groove of the oblique​
ridge.

3.​
The lingual cusps of a mandibular first molar
must be restored to accommodate

centric relation.
working movement.(ans)
non-working movement.
protrusive position

pls explain the answers.
n the first one do'nt u think in edge to edge contact the vertical overlap will be minimum??

thanks a lot​