Quest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MetroPath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the pay for Quest labs? Seems like from talking to friends the hours are good (8 hour days), no weekends, looking at biopsies all day, no call, no autopsies, no frozens. You may get an annual bonus but other than that your salary is set based on your experience, number of board certifications, etc.

Do you pretty much limit any future job prospects by working at Quest? I don't see how someone working at Quest can go into a busy private practice gig after working there for a few years.

Seems like you don't see much in terms of variety for biopsies and no resection specimens. You will probably never be able to read a frozen again after working at one of these places.

So if you work for Quest you eventually limit yourself to this and other Path mills I'm guessing?

Members don't see this ad.

Quest also bases pays on regional data for path's salaries. I dont work there, but am friends with several who do (including ameripath). The folks I know who work there seem to have plenty of $
My educated guess is that Quest pays 275-350 K / annually for a full timer and a bit more if one is a medical director or on a clia.

I think all of your points are spot on, including the last one. If you sign out only office based specimens for too long or too early in your career it would be tough to go back to hospital based specimens.

Reactions: 1 user
The attendings I know at Quest make 250-350

This is a viable option, but I would recommend that you start your career in a hospital based practice. This will help you consolidate your years of training and give you more options for the long term.

Reactions: 1 users