Question about accepting then deferring DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i want to stay in los angeles, have a solid application but a low bio mcat score, have been encouraged to continue applying to DO, have withdrawn my MD application, and am wondering:

...if i apply and get into a DO school, am i allowed to defer?
what are the typical "reasons" that they will accept for deferral?
how does this work?

here's the rub:

i'm thinking that i would accept, defer, then in next year's application cycle, try to get into a local school (if i don't get into western this time around) and am concerned that, if i accept and then defer at a non-los angeles DO school, that there will be some technicality that does not let me apply again to other DO schools, as it would look really bad to accept, defer, then reject the deferment, then apply again... i would definitely not want to jeopardize my acceptance to a DO school...

please advise. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reapplying to get into a "better" campus is not a good reason for deferral to be granted. Either accept your OOS D.O. or close that door forever and focus on MD/Caribbean.

Asking what are "typical reasons" sounds iffy. It makes it seem like you won't be honest when deferring.

Med schools know all about that trick. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently deferred for military service. But I am assuming you are not going to go out and join the Army to get your deferment.

Reapplying to get into a "better" campus is not a good reason for deferral to be granted. Either accept your OOS D.O. or close that door forever and focus on MD/Caribbean.

Asking what are "typical reasons" sounds iffy. It makes it seem like you won't be honest when deferring.

So I don't think the OP should defer and then reject the deferral in the next cycle just because they got into a better school, but is it acceptable to withdraw their application and then reapply in the next cycle? Why would they have to accept or go MD/Caribbean?

So I don't think the OP should defer and then reject the deferral in the next cycle just because they got into a better school, but is it acceptable to withdraw their application and then reapply in the next cycle? Why would they have to accept or go MD/Caribbean?
Apparently only 2 people that have declined an acceptance and reapplied to any D.O. school have ever gotten an acceptance.

This is simple: if you are already looking for a deferment before you even apply, DON'T.

The purpose of a deferment is to address something that occurs that impacts your ability to start when you are supposed to.

NOT to allow you to play games, or apply before you are ready. Apply when you are ready to attend medical school. There are too many people that would kill for a chance to attend to have to compete with anyone that is just playing games with the admissions process.

/rant

Apparently only 2 people that have declined an acceptance and reapplied to any D.O. school have ever gotten an acceptance.

Hmm. Well I gotta say, I hope you're wrong since I'm sitting in that boat.