Nov 8, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I was recently accepted to VCOM CC and I plan on attending next Fall. However, I was told that I need to take 2 upper 300 level science courses (either microbiology, genetics, anatomy, physiology, virology, or immunology) with a passing grade of a B or above.
Has anoyone else been told this? And what classes did you take?
I would not have a problem with taking these classes except I graduated in May from USC columbia and having trouble finding classes locally (Raleigh, NC) that are not filled and that I have the prereq's for.
And anyone who has taken these classes, which do you recommend?
I was told to look at University of New England for online classes so if someone can give me a review of them I would appreciate it!

Thanks

JDMcNugent

5+ Year Member
May 5, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
UNE's distance is pretty convenient. I did biochem and Orgo 1 w/virtual lab. It is a lot of self-teaching but I would imagine that the biology courses are much easier than those classes (anything is better than orgo). I know that they offer a & p 1 and 2, genetics, microbiology, and it looks like they added a pathophysiology which would be pretty cool. Aside from the convenience of their distance courses, they are not incredibly expensive. I believe that both of my courses were ~$1200 for everything including books, materials, etc. so roughly $400 per credit hour. It sounds steep but my state university is $180 per credit hour but they nail you with a giant amount of fees and ends up costing about the same. I would reccomend UNE's distance courses and let me know if you have any questions.

JDMcNugent

5+ Year Member
May 5, 2013
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Whoops...i lied they do not offer genetics. Check with VCOM about UNE courses since they are all listed as 100 level courses for some reason, i.e., Biochem is listed as like BIO 1005.

PunkmedGirl

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Berkeley Extension has Genetics and Immunology online courses that you can start and finish at any time.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Berkeley Extension has Genetics and Immunology online courses that you can start and finish at any time.
I've heard bad things about Berkley Extension. That being said, I'd totally hit up the chance at taking immuno before med school.

Reactions: PunkmedGirl

PunkmedGirl

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I've heard bad things about Berkley Extension. That being said, I'd totally hit up the chance at taking immuno before med school.
Yea, I checked rateyourprofessor and well the reviews for the Genetics professor do not look good at all. But, at the same time if your desperate to find these classes then you have to do what you have to do in order to be in med school next fall.