Question about Anesthesiology Residency and Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveMedicine100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couple of questions regarding anes residency:

1) which is more competitive: categorical program or advanced position?

2) how can I shine on anes rotation as a 4th year? Which book is good to read for the rotation - baby miller, nms anesthesiology, or cases files for anesthesiology?

Members don't see this ad.

1. There really isnt any data but its assumed that categorical spots are more competitive

2. Show up early, stay late, learn how to help the residents (setting up machines, lines, transporting patients Etc...). I read a bunch of baby miller and it was way overkill. I would read Nms anesthesia and carry around pocket anesthesia.

Be helpful (offer to help out, once you work with the same person multiple times and get in the groove of things, taking the initiative to get started on setting basic things up for cases you have become familiar with-always seemed to look good in my experience but other people may not feel the same). Be yourself (most people I worked with at home and on two aways were very chill and a good mix of anesthesia and normal life topics-at the appropriate time, of course-seemed to work in my favor).

If you wanna do anesthesia, owning baby miller is not gonna hurt and it's way better than the other two. You are probably gonna want it at some point anyway. My home institution had a test at the end and so I had made my way through it entirely by the time I went on aways and while overkill I felt pretty confident the handful of times I was pimped (I don't think anesthesia people do this often).

When doing aways, pick places you want to go. I know some people say they can hurt you, but I feel like they only helped me and I had a great time doing them. I learned a ton. Different places have different styles. Wish I had time (and dough--they're pricey) to do more!

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.