Question about APPA CAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pittpsych2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been on APPA CAS yet for post-docs? I'm confused about the evaluations. It seems like for each site to which I want to apply each recommender has to upload a separate letter. Is that really the case? I was hoping that I would be able to email each recommender a link for them to upload one letter (like with APPIC). I emailed APPA but thought I'd also post here. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe that was the case last year, yes. Welcome to the wreck of a system that is APPA CAS.

T4C: APPIC Psychology Postdoctoral Application Central Application System.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah…ok. I've heard it mentioned on here, though who knows w. the hundred and one acronyms in the field. :D

Good luck…as I've heard it can be a frustrating process.

I'm thankful to have only needed to deal with the neuro match, which isn't perfect…but I think they learned a lot from the APPIC process and tweaked accordingly.

I just double checked and, yes, you send out a letter request for each site.

Thanks everyone! That doesn't make me happy as it's a lot of work for recommenders. Eliminating sites I know I don't really want and trying to focus on those that don't require APPA for now. Also, one last question: I'm applying to a variety of general UCC Post-Docs that don't require APPA CAS -- does each letter still have to be tailored to those sites (e..g, each UCC) or could "To Whom It May Concern" suffice? Hoping the latter....

I was told that "to whom it may concern" is a bad idea. I had my letter writers say something along the lines of "Dear fellowship selection committee."

I was told that "to whom it may concern" is a bad idea. I had my letter writers say something along the lines of "Dear fellowship selection committee."
Thank you! Though I feel weird asking something that specific of my recommenders after basically telling them about the horrible process that is APPA CAS. I might just hope for the best. :)

I hope this system never catches on.

In case they didn't fix it after last year, make sure that when you send the upload link to your recommendation writer that you include the site name in the comments. Last year it just sent a link with no indication of the program the letter was for.

(Also, don't forget to check the site catalog for other means of submission - my site is in APPA CAS but will also accept applications by e-mail or snail mail.)

I hope this system never catches on.

Unfortunately, it looks like it's been foisted on us no matter what. There were so many problems last year. I spoke to the support staff a lot over the phone and by the end they sounded very defeated.