Question about application (extracurricular)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zellyen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a question about what looks good on a dental application (extracurricular activities)

So far, I really only have Shadowing/Interning at a dental clinic on my list (for 2 summers)

now, someone told me that they went to South America on a program and extracted 24 teeth and 8 wisdom teeth for the locals there. (don't think he has a license but don't think he needs on there either)

now I am kind of worried since that seems so much better than shadowing. I guess what I am asking is that "is going out of the country and doing stuff like that the norm for applicants?" because it seems a bit excessive to me

Lastly, do things like extracurricular sports, student orgs related to ethnicity (raising ethnical awareness), and languages (I can speak 3 languages) help in anyway during the application processes?

Thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I have a question about what looks good on a dental application (extracurricular activities)

So far, I really only have Shadowing/Interning at a dental clinic on my list (for 2 summers)

now, someone told me that they went to South America on a program and extracted 24 teeth and 8 wisdom teeth for the locals there. (don't think he has a license but don't think he needs on there either)

now I am kind of worried since that seems so much better than shadowing. I guess what I am asking is that "is going out of the country and doing stuff like that the norm for applicants?" because it seems a bit excessive to me

Lastly, do things like extracurricular sports, student orgs related to ethnicity (raising ethnical awareness), and languages (I can speak 3 languages) help in anyway during the application processes?

Thank you for your time

Don't worry about what others have done. The ADCOMs are more interested in knowing what you've been involved with.

I understand, thank you.

however, i don't know whats the deal with people nowadays. knowing that i am focusing on my DAT right now, they keep on telling me things that others have done jesus lol

I wouldn't say going to another country and performing volunteer work is exactly the norm. I know many pre-dents, and I only know a handful that actually did this. If you find student organizations in your university that share the same interests you do, then join them and participate. You don't have to do anything extravagant, just show adcoms you are a well-rounded individual. You can participate in student orgs, do volunteer work un-related to dentistry (Habitat for Humanity, tutor, etc), join IM sports, and more.