question about applying and rec letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spville

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all I have a some questions about recommendation letters. I am currently out of college and had never been in touch with the premed advisory in my old college and also I am far away from there now. A lot of these applications to the ‘Big three” require a letter from the premed advisory committee. So how important is that and how do I go about that now? I currently in Boston so I have access to a lot of schools in the area, am I able to use one of those somehow?

Also I currently do research at Massachusetts general Hospital. My boss loves me and he is currently a full professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School. I’ll be getting a great rec letter from him. But the thing it seems these schools require the letters to be sent directly to them from the person writing the letter. The doctor and people I work for expect me to go to a medical school in the states (after all why wouldn’t you if you can get in) but I’m not going to be able to cause I only got a 20 on the MCAT and I really don’t seem myself retaking it cause I’m working 8-`10 hours a day and don’t really have the motivation to go through that whole process. Also I am anxious to start this January. But anyways I really don’t want them to know I am applying to Caribbean schools. Anyone have any ideas what to do about this and still get rec letters out of them?

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

first of all you can ask the professor for a letter and YOU can send them yourself; it doesn't necessarily have to be from that person, but it should have their signature and what institution they are from. Second, why are you ashamed of going to a caribbean school? there are students from the caribbean that have gone to Mass General, BWH, and BID medical centers for intership/residency. i think the professor would be interested in why you're choosing medicine, your research work, etc. try to get in contact with old bio/chem professors and tell them your story. i guarantee that they won't mind writing you a letter for MEDICAL SCHOOL.:thumbup:

first of all you can ask the professor for a letter and YOU can send them yourself; it doesn't necessarily have to be from that person, but it should have their signature and what institution they are from.

WRONG. The letter has to be sent from the writer or their institution. That is one way to authenticate it and keep it anonymous.

To the OP: Try interfolio.com to store and send LORs.