Question about applying for CA license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

recentgrad123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to apply for a CA dental license--by mail or in person at Sacramento? How long does it take for them to issue a license after you have submitted all required materials?

Members don't see this ad.

In person if you want your license in 1 wk. By mail if you need it in 2 months. Bring cash to Sacto is your fastest way to licensure. Check will slow the process for at least 1 extra week

Thanks.
I submitted the application in person, but they could give me no timeline at all (not even a ballpark). I paid with money order, so hopefully that shouldn't hold anything up. Did you get your license after a week or other paperwork/application?

From my experience, I don't think you can get it in a week. It takes at least a week for the FBI and other agencies' background clearance.

I Priority-mailed in all applications, application fee, and electronic fingerprints on Feb 20. They approved the application in early April, which I then sent another check for the licensing fee. I finally received my paper license today on May 27.

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW! It looks like I might be in for a long break (probably well deserved, but the interest is still running up on my loans).
I got my fingerprints scanned by LiveScan a week before I submitted the application in Sacramento, so hopefully they will have completed the background check.
I'm sure this news will not help:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1ANQ/is_10_21/ai_n25016006

From my experience, I don't think you can get it in a week. It takes at least a week for the FBI and other agencies' background clearance.

I Priority-mailed in all applications, application fee, and electronic fingerprints on Feb 20. They approved the application in early April, which I then sent another check for the licensing fee. I finally received my paper license today on May 27.

I got my fingerprints done by Livescan a week before sending in my application, too, but it still took 3 months.

The news is not good at all. Based on my experience with the DMV and state service union employees, I wouldn't be surprised if you get your license in a couple months when they get their hands on it.

It's all really unfortunate. Hopefully my application will be processed before the sunset of the board goes through. I have applied for a job and told them I will probably have my license in 2-3 weeks (that figure is what I heard from dentists who got their licenses years ago).
Do you think if I hassle them by calling and visiting their office in Sac that they will move any more quickly?

I had my livescan fingerprint at Davis on my way to Sacto. Paid every thing in cash in person, a week later, I received the letter said that my license is approved, send more money. So, I brought more money up and get my license a few days later. The whole process took less than 2 wks. But I applied for license in October, a much more slow month. I would imagine every dental board is seriously busy now.

I had my livescan fingerprint at Davis on my way to Sacto. Paid every thing in cash in person, a week later, I received the letter said that my license is approved, send more money. So, I brought more money up and get my license a few days later. The whole process took less than 2 wks. But I applied for license in October, a much more slow month. I would imagine every dental board is seriously busy now.

I would think they really get busy sometime next month, but I hope I have your luck and get my license in a week or two.

I emailed the dental board, and they almost immediately replied and said I should start searching for my name on the license verification site starting tomorrow (Wednesday), then the email was forwarded to other units in the department and they replied saying I need to wait at least 6 weeks.

I just got my secondary application a few days ago and submitted it with the fee in person. Now I have to wait 7-10 business days.
I found something interesting on the dental license verification site. They have a "last updated" date, which is ALWAYS listed as one day previous, even if that date is a Sunday. I'm going to check it in an hour to see if it updates at midnight to say "Last Updated June 10".