Question about applying for residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kj8210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before but I was finally fortunate enough to be accepted to a medical school and start thinking about residencies. I was wondering, do most students apply to residencies in hospitals near their school or further away? Is there an advantage of applying close vs far? Any info you guys could provide would be so helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before but I was finally fortunate enough to be accepted to a medical school and start thinking about residencies. I was wondering, do most students apply to residencies in hospitals near their school or further away? Is there an advantage of applying close vs far? Any info you guys could provide would be so helpful. Thanks!

Most apply to residencies near where they want to be. Usually this is near their medical school because it's easier to rotate at those places, and geographic proximity usually helps with networking and increases your chances at matching.

However, the more competitive the specialty, the less picky an applicant can afford to be about location. If you want to do community primary care, you can probably afford to be picky about your location. If you're ortho or bust, it would behoove you to apply broadly.