question about applying to neuro out of a transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbuck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Was hoping for some advice on neuro/transitional year programs - I am a Canadian medical student currently torn between the very disparate neurology and emergency med fields (appealing for very different reasons).

I understand that the SF Match freezes 1/3 of its spots in 2/3 of the programs for PGY 1 applicants. I was thinking about doing a transitional year to postpone the decision, then applying to neuro.

I'd like some advice on what my chances would be on matching to a 'top' program out of PGY 1 - do these programs intentionally keep spaces open for late blooming pgy 1 applicants or do they fill with US senior applicants?

any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

cbuck said:
Hi,

Was hoping for some advice on neuro/transitional year programs - I am a Canadian medical student currently torn between the very disparate neurology and emergency med fields (appealing for very different reasons).

I understand that the SF Match freezes 1/3 of its spots in 2/3 of the programs for PGY 1 applicants. I was thinking about doing a transitional year to postpone the decision, then applying to neuro.

I'd like some advice on what my chances would be on matching to a 'top' program out of PGY 1 - do these programs intentionally keep spaces open for late blooming pgy 1 applicants or do they fill with US senior applicants?

any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Neurology programs select residency applicants in January approximately 17 months prior to the start of their actual neurology residency during their PGY-2 year. An applicant who applies during their PGY-1 year would have to take off a year while they are waiting to start their neurology residency. Rarely, PGY-2 slots become available in which a PGY-1 applicant could start right away in their neurology residency as a PGY-2. Be aware that the ABPN requires a PGY-1 year which consists of ay least 6 months of internal medicine plus other requirements.