Question about applying!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey guys,

I'm an MD applicant but there are several DO schools that I'm interested in. I noticed that many DO schools accept applications until March/April. Would it be foolish to apply one month or so before because even if you're a competitive applicant (higher than average stats at all schools), you might be wait listed due to the lack of space? Do most DO schools fill up their spots by March/April and then use their wait list? Or do they make most decisions after their formal deadlines, giving applicants like me a possible chance?

Members don't see this ad.

You're late after December. They know you didn't get into an MD program. May still get in but I would just turn in your primaries by December 31st and not take the chance

Okay thanks for the advice! But when do most DO schools fill up their class and resort to their wait list? Is it by January or March/April?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is just about at that point (maximum offers out/building up and pulling from a wait list) right now. It depends a bit on the school... but I would not wait any longer. So, to your first question, yes, it would generally be foolish to wait until a month before their their posted deadlines. ;)

Okay thank you so much! Hopefully I can get my application in soon. Would love to hear from others if they have any input as well :)

Basically being a top student you're going to want to go to the best DO schools which are all pretty much filled so you'll be shooting for their wait lists or some of the newer school spots turning in primaries anytime after December. Especially since it can take up to 6 weeks to be verified

Also some schools require a letter from a DO so if you don't have that then double check the school websites.

Depends on your stats. How much "better than average" are they? If you've got a 3.85 and 34+ MCAT then you're pretty much guaranteed into a DO school.

Hey guys,

I'm an MD applicant but there are several DO schools that I'm interested in. I noticed that many DO schools accept applications until March/April. Would it be foolish to apply one month or so before because even if you're a competitive applicant (higher than average stats at all schools), you might be wait listed due to the lack of space? Do most DO schools fill up their spots by March/April and then use their wait list? Or do they make most decisions after their formal deadlines, giving applicants like me a possible chance?

There is always a chance, but from what I've been told by several schools many established DO programs have a lot of slots (over ~60%) filled after the official Dec 14th deposit deadline date for applicants interviewed before Nov. 15th. Most of the rest of the slots then are filled by the end of January/early February as the schools after initial deposit time are on a 1 month deposit time so they have a better guess of how many slots they have left. There are exceptions and some might hold a few slots open for exceptional candidates or have slots open up as people give up their deposit, but do you really want a DO if you are truly an MD applicant?

Thanks for the input guys! I actually didn't know much initially about DO schools, and the little that I did know was mainly people who had gone the MD route offering their tips but the more I read up and learn, the more I actually find it appealing. The whole emphasis on prevention, holistic care, and numerous other techniques that actually go into much more detail than the MD route. My only concern is applying in January/February with other MD applicants at the same time. My MCAT score is in the low 30 range so isn't that above average than almost all DO schools? Wouldn't I stand a chance of at least getting an interview or is the competition too intense by then?

You still have a good chance, I am still getting interviews from the top DO schools and I have lower stats (though I was complete very early). I think that if you are a good enough applicant your app will find its way to the top more quickly than the others. But get those in ASAP because time is ticking.

With that MCAT you might stand a chance if you could get it all in fast enough, assuming you have ALL of the other stuff, like a letter from a DO for some schools, significant EC, a good story, etc.. The problem is getting transcripts and other materials in and verified through the AACOMAS site (I'd be surprised if they aren't swamped with MD applicants). I'd get everything done before the end of the week if you want a chance. If you already have all of that done then definitely go for it! If not then you are potentially fighting for February/March already before being complete with the holidays. I've seen people admitted in August as others drop out, so if you are sincerely interested in a DO then there is always a chance so try it, but it might or might not be worth the almost $1000 you could easily spend doing it. So no MD interviews?

Thanks for the input guys! I actually didn't know much initially about DO schools, and the little that I did know was mainly people who had gone the MD route offering their tips but the more I read up and learn, the more I actually find it appealing. The whole emphasis on prevention, holistic care, and numerous other techniques that actually go into much more detail than the MD route. My only concern is applying in January/February with other MD applicants at the same time. My MCAT score is in the low 30 range so isn't that above average than almost all DO schools? Wouldn't I stand a chance of at least getting an interview or is the competition too intense by then?