Question about applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Careypotpie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to find this information on pharmcas, but didn't really have any luck. I am taking summer courses, so I don't know what to send in all my transcripts. I am using pharmcas, as well as applying to schools that don't use pharmcas. Do I send in my transcripts now, then after my summer classes, then after my fall classes? Or should I wait until I am done with my summer classes to send my first transcripts in? I guess I am just confused because the fall update can only be submitted once. If I sent them in now and submitted the application in July (before all my summer classes are done), then I would have to wait until my fall classes are done to send in my transcripts that include my summer classes. Please help! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I tried to find this information on pharmcas, but didn't really have any luck. I am taking summer courses, so I don't know what to send in all my transcripts. I am using pharmcas, as well as applying to schools that don't use pharmcas. Do I send in my transcripts now, then after my summer classes, then after my fall classes? Or should I wait until I am done with my summer classes to send my first transcripts in? I guess I am just confused because the fall update can only be submitted once. If I sent them in now and submitted the application in July (before all my summer classes are done), then I would have to wait until my fall classes are done to send in my transcripts that include my summer classes. Please help! Thanks

Either option is available. PharmCAS is setup so that you would send in your Spring transcripts now and then your Fall transcripts (which include your summer grades) during the Academic Update window. If, however, you think you'll do rather well in your summer classes and your transcripts are available soon enough (I'd say early august at the latest) you could feasibly wait until your summer transcripts are available and then send them before submitting your pharmcas application. It's really not that important unless it includes a really important pre-req (say Ochem/Biochem, but not Calculus/Physics) or unless it really boosts your GPA. 3.3 vs 3.25 or some such. If you've got a 3.4 or better anyway, I'd just submit now and wait for AU to send in summer/fall grades. (By the way, these numbers are all arbitrary based on my assumptions, so take this with a grain of salt.)

The non-PharmCAS schools I'd say are a different ball-game. It'll depend on their deadlines, any priority for early submissions, all that stuff. I only applied to one non-PharmCAS school and it ran about the same as above. They did have a priority deadline of 11/1 with a regular deadline of 12/15. Now they just have the 11/1 deadline with no priority. It really all depends on where you're applying in this case.

ok so do you recommend me just wait till 7/24 (when my summer classes end) and get my transcripts sent to pharmcas the day after? my summer classes will boost my GPA a full tenth and push me into the 2.9 range. i figure pharmcas will take a few weeks to process the transcript so that will put me about August 15th ish to e-submit....is this later than i should?

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so do you recommend me just wait till 7/24 (when my summer classes end) and get my transcripts sent to pharmcas the day after? my summer classes will boost my GPA a full tenth and push me into the 2.9 range. i figure pharmcas will take a few weeks to process the transcript so that will put me about August 15th ish to e-submit....is this later than i should?

If it boosts you to the 2.9 range, then I'd definitely wait. I'd rather have a 2.9 than a 2.8 because decisions can be made before the academic update window and you want them to judge your app on the 2.9, not the 2.8. You may get other recommendations/opinions, but this is mine. You might want to ask the pharmacy mentor about this one too. One of them has been on an adcom before, and may have the adcom point of view that I don't.

Even with a great PCAT score, you do need every edge you can get GPA wise. For any school, it's not going to adversely affect your application by submitting in mid-August instead of mid-June.

If I remember correctly Pharmcas handles transcripts the same as the LORs. It will forward them to your schools as it receives them after you esubmit. So say your summer semester ends at the end of August but you esubmit in July then it will send in the transcripts when it receives them in September and not until the academic update. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong :p