Question about applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Messiah10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if I submit my application on the first day available June 1, but do not have the MCAT score I plan on using which I plan to take later this year, will I still be grouped with those that applied as early as possible or will I be moved down the totem pole since my score won't be received until the later months?

Also, if I scored a 21R (2010), 23P(2011), and 24(2012) in previous years, will that 21R still show up or will the time have expired for that test?

I know my scores seem low but didn't have the right study habits as literally something stressful kept occurring and I am a 3.9 student that graduated in 2010 from a major university.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

So if I submit my application on the first day available June 1, but do not have the MCAT score I plan on using which I plan to take later this year, will I still be grouped with those that applied as early as possible or will I be moved down the totem pole since my score won't be received until the later months?

Also, if I scored a 21R (2010), 23P(2011), and 24(2012) in previous years, will that 21R still show up or will the time have expired for that test?

I know my scores seem low but didn't have the right study habits as literally something stressful kept occurring and I am a 3.9 student that graduated in 2010 from a major university.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

On your AACOMAS you can list all the past MCAT's and future MCAT dates. You can do one of two things:
1- Apply to only one school to get verified, then take the MCAT, submit it to the AACOMAS, then apply to the rest of the schools.
2- Apply to all right away and call/email them, notifying them that you are retaking your MCAT.

I did option 1 because I was afraid I would get auto-rejected before the schools even received my second MCAT. This allowed me to get verified so when my retake came in, I just sent it in right away.

Yes, they will see all of your scores, unless they have some sort of a limit (only accepting MCAT's within an X amount of years).

Good luck! You should be OK with a 24 and high GPA!

On your AACOMAS you can list all the past MCAT's and future MCAT dates. You can do one of two things:
1- Apply to only one school to get verified, then take the MCAT, submit it to the AACOMAS, then apply to the rest of the schools.
2- Apply to all right away and call/email them, notifying them that you are retaking your MCAT.

I did option 1 because I was afraid I would get auto-rejected before the schools even received my second MCAT. This allowed me to get verified so when my retake came in, I just sent it in right away.

Yes, they will see all of your scores, unless they have some sort of a limit (only accepting MCAT's within an X amount of years).

Good luck! You should be OK with a 24 and high GPA!
Apply to one school then send in the new score to other schools once I receive the MCAT? I thought there was an option to tell them I am retaking it on the AACOMAS application. Is that correct?

Also, if they can see all my scores it brings me to another point, which is is it worth it for me to take it again or are these previous scores really going to shoot me in the foot unless I score 30+?

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. Some schools only take the newest, some take the average, while some look at all the schools. I was in a similar situation and I only sent it to one school to verify and once I got the retake I sent it to the rest. I was afraid that my first score (one very low sub score) would get me auto-rejected. So it was worth waiting 1.5 months.

There is an option to state upcoming tests on the AACOMAS however, I don't know if schools actually look at them.
Any other opinions?

Apply to one school then send in the new score to other schools once I receive the MCAT? I thought there was an option to tell them I am retaking it on the AACOMAS application. Is that correct?

Also, if they can see all my scores it brings me to another point, which is is it worth it for me to take it again or are these previous scores really going to shoot me in the foot unless I score 30+?

Thanks for the help.

1) You fill it out that way, indicating you plan on taking another MCAT in the AACOMAS application. What Dr.TurkandJD is suggesting is to only submit the AACOMAS app to 1 school at first (one that you know wouldn't auto-reject you for your MCAT) and then submit your AACOMAS app to all the rest after your scores come in. You can add schools at any time before the deadline through the AACOMAS application.

2) They will see all the scores you have, regardless of when you took them (they saw my 2005 score). That being said, whether they choose to actually include it in their evaluation of you is completely school specific.

Taking it 4 times does shoot you in the foot, but this is relative. Realistically you need to do much better, but by that I mean 27+. Getting 1 or 2 points more really doesn't demonstrate much improvement since you've consistently scored in the low 20s. If you feel its not possible for you to get a >26 on the MCAT, a 24 really isn't terrible. It puts you on the low side, but you still have a shot, especially with a high GPA and good ECs.

...There is an option to state upcoming tests on the AACOMAS however, I don't know if schools actually look at them.
Any other opinions?

They definitely do look at them. I know a lot of people that explicitly received statements from schools saying they are waiting to review their file until their new MCAT score comes in.

It depends. Some schools only take the newest, some take the average, while some look at all the schools. I was in a similar situation and I only sent it to one school to verify and once I got the retake I sent it to the rest. I was afraid that my first score (one very low sub score) would get me auto-rejected. So it was worth waiting 1.5 months.

There is an option to state upcoming tests on the AACOMAS however, I don't know if schools actually look at them.
Any other opinions?
So getting verified makes me instantly accessible to the pool of student applicants to each school once the new MCAT score is submitted? Wouldn't that make it pointless for me to apply as early as possible then since they won't even be receiving the application until October or so? Seems like if I do that though I am taking a risk and I want to get things in as soon as possible. I don't want to wait too long to get these things in and at what month does the process become the most competitive?

Thanks again.

So getting verified makes me instantly accessible to the pool of student applicants to each school once the new MCAT score is submitted? Wouldn't that make it pointless for me to apply as early as possible then since they won't even be receiving the application until October or so? Seems like if I do that though I am taking a risk and I want to get things in as soon as possible. I don't want to wait too long to get these things in and at what month does the process become the most competitive?

Thanks again.

Ok, lets take a step back.

After you fill out the AACOMAS, you can submit it on June 1st. You can submit it to as many schools as you want, however, prior to the schools receiving your app, the AACOM has to verify your transcripts and all your information. I think it takes 2-6 weeks, depending on the number of applicants. So even if you submit your app on June 1st, the schools won't receive it until July. That said, what I am suggesting is to send it to only one school just to the app gets verified. Then when you get your last retake, you can (add more schools) submit the app to the rest of the schools. However, since it was already verified it will only take them a week to receive it.

However, in your situation, I honestly don't think it matters. I think a 24 will not auto-reject you anywhere. You can do either one, feel free to ask more question!