Question about appropriateness of asking for feedback when waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CounselingGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was made an "alternate" at one of the PhD Counseling programs I interviewed at. I know I competed with two other people for one spot with a specific professor.

I was wondering, would it be okay for me to ask the professor what I could have done better, or how I can improve my credentials? Or should I just be happy that I was made an alternate and not say anything about it?

Also, is there a difference between being wait-listed and being an alternate? I put wait-listed in the title because it was shorter and it fit in the space it gave me.

Members don't see this ad.

My advice, don't say anything. What are the program stats about how many people are offered admission and how many accept? If you're 2/3 on the list, and #1 has an offer that they prefer elsewhere, your POI will contact you and offer it to you. Only after you've been completely declined would I contact them to ask about performance. THAT is acceptable because it will help you do better next year when you apply again.

91 people applied for 7 spots. About 20 people were interviewed.

Thank you for your advice. I'll ask him after I've been completely declined (if I am- I am keeping my fingers crossed!) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an "alternate" as well for one of my programs-from what I gather, it's the same thing as being "waitlisted". If this program is at the top of your pref. list, I wish you the best of luck! I know that it sure is an odd feeling being waitlisted (or an alternate)...

just an opinion, but i wouldn't ask. all the applicants my program interviewed this year were highly qualified, and there isn't much someone who was an "alternate" or on the wait list could have done different. usually, it comes down to that elusive 'fit'; perhaps the professor is hoping to take his/her research in a new direction and the accepted student expressed an interest in that, etc.

I am slightly revising my original suggestion. However, if they only invited 3 ppl, it still doesn't really apply.

Let's say that school B waitlisted me and invited 8 students to interview, but school D accepted me. B is my first choice. Then, I'd contact B and ask about my position on the waitlist, but not why I was placed there...

just an opinion, but i wouldn't ask. all the applicants my program interviewed this year were highly qualified, and there isn't much someone who was an "alternate" or on the wait list could have done different. usually, it comes down to that elusive 'fit'; perhaps the professor is hoping to take his/her research in a new direction and the accepted student expressed an interest in that, etc.

This is good advice. Also, the last thing you want right now is to remind them of any deficiencies you may have- just in case a spot opens up! :luck: