Question about ATP thermodynamics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

There is a question in the BR bio II book in chapter VII, passage XI. It asks, "Based on the data in tble 1, which of the following compounds can be phosphorylated exergonically by ATP?"

I don't know if anyone has this and can reference it, but could someone explain to me why B is correct? I got it right, but I can't understand the actual reason. I just saw that B was the only answer that had a lower absolute value of delta G than ATP hydrolysis as compared to the other answers. I'd like to know the real reasoning, and I'm not really making sense of their explanation

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if anyone has this and can reference it, but could someone explain to me why B is correct? I got it right, but I can't understand the actual reason. I just saw that B was the only answer that had a lower absolute value of delta G than ATP hydrolysis as compared to the other answers. I'd like to know the real reasoning, and I'm not really making sense of their explanation

Just draw out the coupled chemical reaction. ATP ---> ADP + Pi, X + Pi ---> X-Pi. Add the delta G's of those two reactions together and find the one that's negative.