Question about benzos and nonbenzos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProteinTreasure

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I need some clarification please regarding the administration of Diazepam and Lorazepam, their half-lives, peak concentration. For example, if a patient receives in one case Lorazepam 2mg IM, and in another case Lorazepam 2mg PO, how quickly concentration will be reached and what would be the half life? If we need to administer a non-benzodiazepine hypnotic (zolpidem, zopiclone) how much do we need to wait in either case? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you just want those numbers, they're readily available in uptodate. What clinical problem are you trying to solve?
Thank you for your reply. I'd like to find out after Lorazepam 2mg IM how long do we need to wait to give a hypnotic (zopiclone, zolpidem, etc).

So, you're wholly reliant upon GABA to minimize anxiety and then also expect the VLPO to respond to the Z-BZD? Inconceivable! Just ask Michael Jackson....

pzv5j7l.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Since you're talking about IM Ativan use I assume you're in an inpatient setting? What risk are you really worried about with co-administration here? I don't think it would be very big, though that depends on the patient, but personally I wouldn't offer either intervention to someone I'd consider high risk much less the combination.

But that's just risk. Benefit on the other hand...