Quantcast

Question about Biology Pre-Reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan08

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello, I am a Psychology major in the middle of finishing my dental school pre-reqs. My question is pertaining to the specifics of the Biology pre-reqs. I see that most people are taking the General BIO series I , II, and III with labs (im on the quarter system).

I have already taken the Basic BIO lecture with lab (for non-science majors)(only one lecture and lab). I have also already taken Genetics. I am planning to take Vertabrate Anatomy as well as Cell and Molecular Biology.

Will I still need to take the BIO series for science majors? I really dont want to. My science GPA is 4.0 right now and i'm already past half way done with my pre-reqs. I really dont want to add that huge BIO series :/

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you will have to take the series. I had taken o Chem and gen Chem for non-science majors (prereqs for hygiene school) and they didn't count for dental school. It sucks but you can't get around the basic prereqs.

TheRoni

Dental school attendee
Reaction score
I think you should call the schools you are interested in and find out. Each school is different on what they accept. Just call/email the school. Some are nicer about it than others.

crax

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a Psychology major in the middle of finishing my dental school pre-reqs. My question is pertaining to the specifics of the Biology pre-reqs. I see that most people are taking the General BIO series I , II, and III with labs (im on the quarter system).

I have already taken the Basic BIO lecture with lab (for non-science majors)(only one lecture and lab). I have also already taken Genetics. I am planning to take Vertabrate Anatomy as well as Cell and Molecular Biology.

Will I still need to take the BIO series for science majors? I really dont want to. My science GPA is 4.0 right now and i'm already past half way done with my pre-reqs. I really dont want to add that huge BIO series :/
Agree with calling the schools that youre targeting.
"8 semester hours (12 quarter hours) of General biology (including laboratory)" I think you probably are going to need to take them, and it obviously helps with your dats.