Question About Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Death

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My application is a little bit lacking in the clinical experience aspect. I have done a lot of volunteering for a mental health organization working with autistic kids. Would you classify this as clinical experience or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Tough call. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule for this.. If you worked with the health professionals as well, I'd say it falls underclinical.

You should get some clinical experience before applying. Not just for your application but, more importantly, to see if you actually want to be a doctor. I didn't have much clinical experience before applying and now I'm kind stuck in a career that I dislike.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should get some clinical experience before applying. Not just for your application but, more importantly, to see if you actually want to be a doctor. I didn't have much clinical experience before applying and now I'm kind stuck in a career that I dislike.

why do you dislike medicine?

I'd call it clinical.

But you'll need to get something with actual patients...ie, sick people...injured people.

My application is a little bit lacking in the clinical experience aspect. I have done a lot of volunteering for a mental health organization working with autistic kids. Would you classify this as clinical experience or not?

Volunteer at your local hospital as well. Shouldnt be too hard to secure a position there..

Thank you all for your replies I really appreciate it.

I kind of feel like we do more harm than good. Most of my patients are 70+ and they're getting some ridiculous surgery which is always followed by some horrible complications. I am just not proud of what I do, basically.

I kind of feel like we do more harm than good. Most of my patients are 70+ and they're getting some ridiculous surgery which is always followed by some horrible complications. I am just not proud of what I do, basically.

Not sure where you are in your career, but have you considered palliative care?

What specialty is this?

Reactions: 1 user
No. Get some experience where they use a stethoscope.

Reactions: 1 user
How many hours are important to have as far as clinical volunteering goes?
Does the length of time involved also matter?

Also, does it look bad if you weren't involved in the organizations for a long time (like more than a year) but have a decent amount of hours thus far (~ 200+)
I've gotten involved in free health clinic only since last December and will have about 150 by the time I apply this June. I don't want to make it seem that I'm rushing to get all of my hours in just to fulfill some number but also want to make sure I hit the spots med schools want in terms of ECs

I don't think duration matters. Some opportunities may only come with a limited amount of hours.

How many hours are important to have as far as clinical volunteering goes?
Does the length of time involved also matter?

Also, does it look bad if you weren't involved in the organizations for a long time (like more than a year) but have a decent amount of hours thus far (~ 200+)
I've gotten involved in free health clinic only since last December and will have about 150 by the time I apply this June. I don't want to make it seem that I'm rushing to get all of my hours in just to fulfill some number but also want to make sure I hit the spots med schools want in terms of ECs

Hint: there are some specific things about clinical experience and volunteering that are important to adcoms, but they do not include an arbitrary number of hours or length of time.

Figure out what the important things are and the hours/time question becomes obvious (or obviously trivial).

Reactions: 1 users
ahh I see. thanks! I just am a typical neurotic pre-med and worry about how an adcom will dig through and try to find faults with my app.