Question about Clinical Pharmacy Salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AlwaysContrary

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm new to SDN and I've found that a lot of people here say that clinical specialists make around 90,000ish a year as apposed to their retail counterparts. However, whenever I do research (basically job finding sites, google, and people posting on here) clinical specialists seem to be making well over 100,000 a year. I would love to get some insight on why I see people saying this. Thanks!
 
Starting salaries are highly regional.

exactly. along with years experience, etc... You will almost always find that chain retail makes a significant amount more. If I got to do it all again, I would have gone clinical/speciality and then worked a couple extra shifts each month in a retail setting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How old are the posts?
Geographic variability
Variability by specialty
Variability by years of experience
Academic appointment versus non-academic position
 
exactly - geography plays more into salaries than title often. Even in the same city you can see a huge difference (before you take into account benefits).
I make 137k, but was offered a job across town at 115 (negotiated up to 120k) - for essentially the same job
 
In your area do non-academic get paid more or less? Generally here they get paid less, but have better benefits

It has generally been less in my experience. My highest pay has been at a small, community hospital in a relatively rural area. Low acuity patients, easy work, higher pay. My lowest pay was at a large non-profit located in the middle of a large metro area with very high acuity patients. It required more knowledge, more skill, and far more stress. The more we do the less we get paid it seems.

It was a real slap in the face when I worked in South Florida. I was working for a large institution, level 1 trauma, gun shots, drowning, ecmo, heart transplant, anything too bad for other hospitals got kicked to us. It was such a high cost of living area too, and we were paid so little. I could have moved to Tampa or Orlando and made a lot more for a lower cost of living. Maybe even had a house instead of an apartment way out in the boonies.

my professors who also clinically practice make absolute bank. One professor who is also an ID specialists makes 180,000 a year.

Citation needed! Where is this and what exactly do your professors do? If this isn't the bay area I call BS.
 
Citation needed! Where is this and what exactly do your professors do? If this isn't the bay area I call BS.


There is no way I'm gonna give away his identity, haha. However, It is a top 5 school, works at a top ranked hospital, and is also head of the stewardship program. So he does a lot.
 
I'm new to SDN and I've found that a lot of people here say that clinical specialists make around 90,000ish a year as apposed to their retail counterparts. However, whenever I do research (basically job finding sites, google, and people posting on here) clinical specialists seem to be making well over 100,000 a year. I would love to get some insight on why I see people saying this. Thanks!


Like others said, it's highly regional. Within the same area, retail almost always pays more, unless you're a DOP. The only exception seems to be Cali, which seems to pay on retail level and sometimes more in the hospital setting. You can easily make over 100k as a full timer if you pick the right location.
 
It has generally been less in my experience. My highest pay has been at a small, community hospital in a relatively rural area. Low acuity patients, easy work, higher pay. My lowest pay was at a large non-profit located in the middle of a large metro area with very high acuity patients. It required more knowledge, more skill, and far more stress. The more we do the less we get paid it seems.

Citation needed! Where is this and what exactly do your professors do? If this isn't the bay area I call BS.

I'm pretty much in the boonies right now. Pay isn't that great for the area, but its maybe about even with retail in the big cities if you count overtime- Complicated patients get transferred to the metro so it is pretty low acuity. I'm actually afraid of moving to the big city because I know I'm not at the level of the "clinical superstars" there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad