question about comm college accredition

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jav316

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,
for people who have done their prereqs or postbacs at a comm college, how do you know it's accredited? i spoke with an adcoms rep this morning from one of the schools i'm applying and asked if it was acceptable to take prereqs at comm college. She indicated its fine as long as its accredited. I looked on the website of the school where i would take course for information about accredition and this is what i found:

Durham Technical Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate’s degrees. The college is a member of the American Association of Community Colleges, and the following programs are accredited by national associations: the Dental Laboratory Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association; the Occupational Therapy Assistant program is accredited by the Accreditation Committee for Occupational Therapy Education; the Opticianry program is accredited by the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation; and the Respiratory Therapy program is accredited by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Therapy. In addition, the Pharmacy Technology program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. The Surgical Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.

Is this acceptable? Did anyone run into an issue like this? does this mean it's not accredited nationally?
thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

jav316 said:
hello,
for people who have done their prereqs or postbacs at a comm college, how do you know it's accredited? i spoke with an adcoms rep this morning from one of the schools i'm applying and asked if it was acceptable to take prereqs at comm college. She indicated its fine as long as its accredited. I looked on the website of the school where i would take course for information about accredition and this is what i found:

Durham Technical Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate’s degrees....Is this acceptable? Did anyone run into an issue like this? does this mean it's not accredited nationally?
thanks!!

Yes, you will be fine. A good link for checking accreditation is: www.chea.org
Regional accrediation is heald at a higher standard than national accreditation, and SACS (Southern Assoc. Colleges and Schools) is regional. Durham Tech accreditation is just fine:) For anyone who may be concerned about taking pre-recs at a CC b/c OD schools may look down on this, they don't. I personally had to take several OD pre-reqs at CCs after I graduated with my Bachelors b/c I was working full-time before Optometry school and this did not hurt my chances on getting in anywhere or make my OAT scores suffer. Just try and get As, because a B or C at a CC looks worse than a B or C at a good University.