question about communications pre-req

Started by confident
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

confident

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who applied/plan to apply for pharmacy schools in California, do you have to take two different communications classes? It looks like USC requires interpersonal communications class and UCSD/UCSF/Western/UOP requires public speaking class. I check their website and the equivalent class for my school and they are two different classes. Anyone else has this problem? 😕
 
That makes sense. Those are two totally different types of communication. The schools probably want different things.

- Interpersonal communication occurs between two people at a distance between 18-48 inches. Communication that occurs beyond four feet is considered public speaking 😛 (I'm feeling extra nerdy today :laugh:)
 
For those of you who applied/plan to apply for pharmacy schools in California, do you have to take two different communications classes? It looks like USC requires interpersonal communications class and UCSD/UCSF/Western/UOP requires public speaking class. I check their website and the equivalent class for my school and they are two different classes. Anyone else has this problem? 😕

Yeah - there are 2 different classes, that's just how it is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
USC confirmed to me that they will not accept Public Speaking for their CMN requirement.. however I think a couple of those other CA schools MAY take Interpersonal CMN in place of Public Speaking.. best to confirm with the school.

They really are two different classes though, and I was convinced Interpersonal would be useless, but my professor did a full lecture on job interviews (which can be applied to pharm school interviews!) so it wasn't a complete loss. I took public speaking over the summer and it wasn't nearly as painful as a full quarter during the school year. 🙂
 
I had to take both. Schools that require public speaking do not take interpersonal, and USC definitely does NOT take public speaking.
 
I just checked the USC websites and it looks like they changed their requirements for communications and accepts public speaking as well as interpersonal communications. :laugh: one less class to worry about! 👍