Question about costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyWannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had some mean cost/year numbers for MA programs in Psychology. I'm looking at one, but it's something like 18k a year plus 5k for the second year if you want to do a thesis. Yikes! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

No one can answer that. This is unique to each schools tuition rates.....

CUNY costs about 3k a semester. State uni's probably shouldn't be more.

Brockport, a SUNY, is about the same, around 4k:

http://www.brockport.edu/graduate/costs/

I got a direct loan for the amount, with a low APR that doesn't begin until after graduation. They also have a pretty hefty support system.. There's no reason why someone shouldn't be able to pay it off by graduation if they TA or have a paid RA position.

I would avoid private MA programs at all costs, unless they lead into a PhD, or you have huge savings.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would avoid private MA programs at all costs, unless they lead into a PhD, or you have huge savings.

"At all costs" is kind of funny, considering the topic.

But thanks for the info, I was having trouble finding that.

Actually, I don't think 18k is that bad. The only way you will find something lower is if you go to a public school.
I'm looking at schools in IL and public schools are around 13k, while private can get up to 40k a year.

Also, if this helps-I've heard people say don't borrow more than your estimated future salary.

Do others agree with Mulsum? I can't really find a program I like at an in-state school so I'm considering private...is it really a bad idea?

Do others agree with Mulsum? I can't really find a program I like at an in-state school so I'm considering private...is it really a bad idea?

I didn't write it in stone; it's something I've read here frequently, and something I believe in myself (obviously, since I'm a dirt poor public school student).

There's nothing wrong with private MA schools: the 'problem' is that they cost money, generally, unless you're funded. The problem then: that you may or may not go to a funded PhD program. That's double debt, from two separate schools, on two separate loans, plus the cost of living.

Maybe that's just the age-old private vs public school debate, but I think it's a much more serious financial situation for your MA program, as the costs aren't subsidized by the state, and the degree is a non-licensing 'stepping stone'.

I may be frugal, but I think that the major warnings here or life regrets are that people wished they hadn't accumulated so much debt, or that they had figured in their salary better when taking it on. See: salary of a clinical psychologist.

Sorry, I just realized you guys are mostly speaking in terms of a general MA in Psych (prob leading to a PhD) which you could probably find at most public schools, in which case, I would definitely not want to be paying that much.

So I guess I would like to add another discussion under this topic...
What about MAs in the psych area that lead to a license (counseling, therapy programs, etc) and aren't in many public schools?
I'm only asking because I do somewhat agree with you and having second thoughts about going to a private school and taking out a 40k+ loan.