Question about CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

school psyc app

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to Ph.D. programs in school psychology. I am working on finalizing my CV (resume) and was wondering if anyone had any advice about me stating I was social chairman of my sorority? I know that some people may look at this negatively, but I actually planned offical functions and gained experience with dealing with budgets and personal relationships. I did not plan parties with fraternaties or anything like that, which most people might think was my job. On the flip side, this could also be a positive asset for me since it shows leadership and organization skills.
I would appreciate any input! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't include it. Irrelevant to your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your research interests are about program implementation, then programming experience may be relevant if you frame it right. That is really it though, especially if it's more CV than resume, because only things VERY relevant to your goals should be included.

Thanks for the info! That's what way I was leaning towards, I just wanted to get some input before making a final decision!

I'm applying to Ph.D. programs in school psychology. I am working on finalizing my CV (resume) and was wondering if anyone had any advice about me stating I was social chairman of my sorority? I know that some people may look at this negatively, but I actually planned offical functions and gained experience with dealing with budgets and personal relationships. I did not plan parties with fraternaties or anything like that, which most people might think was my job. On the flip side, this could also be a positive asset for me since it shows leadership and organization skills.
I would appreciate any input! Thanks! :)

Sounds like you want to include it. If you are positioning yourself in terms of programming implementation, you could say: 2007-2008 Chairperson, Alpha Omega Delta sorority. If you are asked at interview time about your specific duties, then you can elaborate…otherwise it shows that you served on the committee of an extracurricular college activity, and you can leave it at that.

Admissions committees are looking for a lot. This most likely will not be the deciding factor in getting you in for an interview, but sometimes it helps to acknowledge that you can "win friends and influence people." It's all how you position yourself. If you can talk about your duties in an intelligent relevant manner, then do what you feel comfortable. Now, others may disagree, but more opinions, the merrier.;)

P.S. I had my sorority on my CV and I didn't serve as a chairperson. It was never brought up in my interviews b/c there was much more to entice them.

P.S.S. Psi Chi and Phi Beta Kappa are definites on the good 'ole CV.