Question about DAT timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

In2Infinity

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there, I am a Canadian student, and currently I am thinking about taking the American DAT. I just had a few questions about the whole timing of it.

First off, I am in my third year of university. I am thinking of taking the DAT this summer. My school year ends about April 15th.

What are the possible times to take the DAT, is it really anytime? What time should i schedule it for as I want enough time to study, but dont want to miss the early applying period. Is 2 and a half months enough time to study and get a good mark on it? When would be a good time to write it.

Any informarion along these lines would be very helpful!

thanks!
 
Hi there, I am a Canadian student, and currently I am thinking about taking the American DAT. I just had a few questions about the whole timing of it.

First off, I am in my third year of university. I am thinking of taking the DAT this summer. My school year ends about April 15th.

What are the possible times to take the DAT, is it really anytime? What time should i schedule it for as I want enough time to study, but dont want to miss the early applying period. Is 2 and a half months enough time to study and get a good mark on it? When would be a good time to write it.

Any informarion along these lines would be very helpful!

thanks!

After my school got out last april, I studied 2 months and took the DAT june 10 and submitted my app a week later.

I'd say may/june is the latest you want to take it for the first time. There is a 90 day wait period if you want to retake after your first attempt, so any later than the beginning of june and you're pretty late in the cycle.

2 months of 24/7 study should be fine (but it should all be review).
 
Wow, so you actually have to study a ton each day? I know saying 24/7 is stretching it, but i figured maybe 2-3 hours per day for two months would be enough.

I know it depends on how fast people learn and what not, but does it really take the average person to study all day long in order to get a decent mark for this??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i mean it really depends on each individual how much time you put in each day but i mean I was a bio major and although i got As in alot of my higher sciences i still studied from like 8am-10pm for a month, everyday except one, before my DAT. And the month before that I took a kaplan course and did like readings everyday. There is ALOT of material.
 
i mean it really depends on each individual how much time you put in each day but i mean I was a bio major and although i got As in alot of my higher sciences i still studied from like 8am-10pm for a month, everyday except one, before my DAT. And the month before that I took a kaplan course and did like readings everyday. There is ALOT of material.

I see what you mean, it puts it in perspective a bit more...how much you actually have to study for this test. thanks